Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Weaning/Breasts full and painful!

Unhappy Help! Weaning/Breasts full and painful!

Hi,
    I have been gradually weaning my 14 month old but my breasts feel full and are starting to hurt. I have tried to a little express milk every few hours to alleviate the pain, but I really dont want mastitis..any suggestions? I will try an ice pack too.
    Thanks so much.

Default Re: Help! Weaning/Breasts full and painful!

I am not an expert, but if you're still in pain and your breasts are too full I'd definitely express some more milk. You don't want your breasts to get hard and from what I've learned/heard, if your breasts are in pain you need to express some milk. Did you start with just weaning one session at a time? Or are you weaning all at once? I would recommend weaning one session at a time if you're not already. (I'm just getting ready to wean my two pumping sessions at the end of the month. I can't wait to hang up the horns) I plan on bf while I'm home but I have already started to increase the amount of time between pumpings. Good Luck!!!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Default Re: Help! Weaning/Breasts full and painful!

with the PP- sounds like you may need to slow the weaning process down just a bit. Express enough milk to make yourself comfortable! Your body will get the message. You might also want to try some of the herbal teas traditionally used to reduce supply- sage, peppermint, and parsley- and wear some cold cracked cabbage leaves in your bra, as cabbage is also supposed to help reduce supply. HTH!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"