Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 months doesn't eat much of solid food, will he has enough nutrition?

Default 13 months doesn't eat much of solid food, will he has enough nutrition?

My baby boy will turn 13 months tomorrow and I'm worried about his eating habit. From 7-11 months of age, he loved sweet potato and carrot from a jar, yogurt with mixed fruit, and cheerios. After I introduced more variety of food like grilled cheese sandwich, grilled chicken, bread, waffle, baby cookie to him, he stopped eating vegetable and his yogurt all together. Now all he wants is to play with it. So now his main food is his new food I mentioned above and banana. I'm afraid that he will not have all nutrition he needs to grow normally. He's a smaller than average but he's very healthy, happy, and active. I work full time now so I normally breastfeed him before I go to work, when I'm back from work, and about 2-4 time during the night.

Does he have enough nutrition? How can I know it? Only weight gain and height is a good enough indicator? He doesn't seem to gain much weight either but he grows about 1 inche every 2-3 months.

The doctor said don't offer food that he wants, keep offer healthy food and when he's hungry he will eat it. He will not starve himself. Does this work?

My mom said he should have milk at least 32 oz a day and he needs at least 2 eggs a day for his brain to develope normally. Is that true?

Now I'm stress because he doesn't like egg.

Any advice or share the same kind of experience will be very appreciated, thanks

Default Re: 13 months doesn't eat much of solid food, will he has enough nutrition?

Just real quickly, Ill be back later with more info... no worries about the baby not having eggs. Yes growth is a very good indicator that he's getting what he needs.

Would you say an average day consists of 3-4 nursing sessions?

What does he get in between as far as beverages go?

Okay - I'm 'back' with a good resource for you - this page has lots of informative links that should answer most, if not all of your questions.

This one, as well, you might find very helpful

Don't fret too much over the pickyness your child might be displaying more and more as the days come - it is typical behaviour and you can guide him through!
    Last edited by @llli*number3; July 5th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: 13 months doesn't eat much of solid food, will he has enough nutrition?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    Just real quickly, Ill be back later with more info... no worries about the baby not having eggs. Yes growth is a very good indicator that he's getting what he needs.

Would you say an average day consists of 3-4 nursing sessions?

What does he get in between as far as beverages go?

To be more specific, I feed him before I go to work, as soon as I come back from work and about 2 times more before he goes to bed. And about 2-4 times during the night because he doesn't sleep through the night yet. They're not long sessions, last about 2-5 minutes after let down. I pump milk at work but he won't drink breatmilk or formula from bottle or sippy cup. So during the day he drinks water or juice which he doesn't seem to like it much. I tried chololate milk mixed with 2% milk and he seems to like it but I'm not sure if it's healthy for him? He's not a big eater so whatever he eats, he eats in small amount. Waiting to hear more from you, thanks
    Last edited by @llli*naw.pan; July 5th, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

I added more to my post above - Sounds like baby is getting just the right amount of breastmilk... you're doing well
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

dr sears has some good info on feeding toddlers on his web site...http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp
    a good book is family nurtrion book...

write down everything toddler eats for a week and I bet you'll find he's eating way more then you thought he was.

I agree with pp, it sounds like he's getting a good amount of bm and is growing fine. I would agree about writing everything down and would show your ped. I also worry about how much solids 13 month lo is getting, some meals he just wants absolutely nothing to do with anything and he will literally not take a bite of solids. I try again later or give him some applesauce or yogurt, something I know he won't turn down. He refuses eating at least one meal a day, I know it is very frustrating. I just make his food with healthy fats like olive oil and regular butter. What about trying to cook his chicken in olive oil just for something extra? My lo starts the day with his favorite breakfast of a big bowl of yogurt, oatmeal, fruit and his vitamins. Plus he nurses 4 times per day, so he's doing great and I'm sure your lo is too!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babychristopher View Post
    I agree with pp, it sounds like he's getting a good amount of bm and is growing fine. I would agree about writing everything down and would show your ped. I also worry about how much solids 13 month lo is getting, some meals he just wants absolutely nothing to do with anything and he will literally not take a bite of solids. I try again later or give him some applesauce or yogurt, something I know he won't turn down. He refuses eating at least one meal a day, I know it is very frustrating. I just make his food with healthy fats like olive oil and regular butter. What about trying to cook his chicken in olive oil just for something extra? My lo starts the day with his favorite breakfast of a big bowl of yogurt, oatmeal, fruit and his vitamins. Plus he nurses 4 times per day, so he's doing great and I'm sure your lo is too!

This is my 13 month old too... she has turned into a terrible solids eater. Its a good day if she takes more than 2 bites of anything. For instance today all she has had is a handful of raisins, a handful of cheerios, mabe 1/4 cup of applesauce and thats it. She refused lunch all together. She still nurses about 5-7 times a day so I just assume the breastmilk will fill in the gaps nutritionally. DOn't worry about the eggs. I haven't even tried eggs with my lo yet because she has some food intolerances.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I just found the way to make him eat egg. I cook French toast for him, a bit of cheese but not too much and he's kind of like it. He doesn't eat much though but at least he's willing to try and eat. Thanks for all the support