Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBM Question

Default EBM Question

Quick question re: expressed breast milk...
    If I want to take a bottle to feed dd, do I need to keep it cold with ice packs or something? I have milk from tonight in the fridge that I was going to make up a bottle with. Our diaper bag does have an insulated bottle pocket, but I don't know if that will keep it cold enough...
    Actually, I usually pump in the mornings after feeding dd - would that be better to use? How long can freshly ebm be kept out?
    I would say it would probably be 3 maybe four hours before we would feed it to her.

Thanks!

Default Re: EBM Question

Hi Hokiegirl,

Some will tell you ebm is ok at room temperature for 8 hours... however, I always used an ice pack though because I felt better about it that way.

Happy outings to you.

Freshly expressed breast milk can stay at room temp (66-72 degree F) for up to 10 hours according to the latest research.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

you'll def be fine with your time frame
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Unless it is over 75 in your house, freshly pumped milk can be left out for 8hours for sure no problem. And at any point before that refrigerated for up to 7days.

Way too lazy for formula

after it has been sitting out a few hrs., can you still refridferate safely??
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

We have had bottles at room temp for a few hours, refrigerated, and reheated once with no problems.
    Fran

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssa.mommy View Post
    after it has been sitting out a few hrs., can you still refridferate safely??
    Yes.

Way too lazy for formula

Ok, so if I take a bottle in a bag with an ice pack to keep it cool, just to be on the safe side, can I give it to her like that? I don't think there will be any way of warming it up...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hokiegirl30 View Post
    Ok, so if I take a bottle in a bag with an ice pack to keep it cool, just to be on the safe side, can I give it to her like that? I don't think there will be any way of warming it up...

Thanks!

Yes. That's what I do with EBM that's been refrigerated. It stays cool in the insulated bag with the ice pack (ironically provided by Similac). The first cool bottle LO had suprised her, but she took it with no problems. This way, you can be out and about with EBM bottles for more than an hour with no worries. Also, when I've known that I'm going to be somewhere with a controlled temperature, I've taken along a bottle of freshly pumped, non refrigerated EBM. Sicne it can stay at room temp for 8-10 horus, I feel comfortable throwing it into the diaper bag without the ice pack and going out, like to the grocery store, dinner, or a friend's house.
    Fran