Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerns about my milk supply

Exclamation Concerns about my milk supply

I'm a first-time mom and my son is four months old. Despite my hectic schedule, I've managed to breastfeed exclusively. I feel like that is such an accomplishment. Before he was born, I told myself that I wanted to attempt to breastfeed and it was very hard work at first. I shed ALOT of tears, but it has been well worth it and I wouldn't trade the bond that I have with my son for anything.

My son gets bottles at daycare and I pump while I'm at work....usually twice a day. Last week, my son came down with a virus and I was fixing to pump around the time the daycare called to inform me that he was sick. I didn't take the time to pump because I wanted to get him and take him to the doctor. So, I went about 6 hours without pumping. Ever since then, I just feel like my supply is low. Normally, I would start feeling full after 3 hours or so....and I would feel the letdown too. I'm not having that now. When I do breastfeed my son, I feel the letdown and usually leak a little on the opposite breast....and I'm not having that anymore. After going some time without pumping or feeding, I usually start to feel uncomfortable, but that hasn't been the case the last week and a half. So, I'm beginning to be concerned about my milk supply. Do I have reason to be concerned?

FYI, with us visiting family today, I took bottles of BM and decided to pump. In one setting, I pumped about 8 ounces....so that makes me feel somewhat better, but I still feel concerned. Should I be?

Default Re: Concerns about my milk supply

its normal to feel less full as lo gets older.
    how are the diapers? thats the best indicator of low supply

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

The number of wet diapers are normal....probably 8-10 a day. A few weeks ago, his BMs changed for some reason and I still don't know why. He went from having 3-4 BMs a day to maybe 1. Then, when he would have a BM, it would be really runny and mucusy...and smelled terrible. It was an unusual smell. His BMs have returned to normal, but I'm not certain what caused the change. It could be several things...he has been sick, starting to teethe, and I even thought it might have something to do with me. Nonetheless, it appears the BMs have returned to normal. I'm really hoping my milk supply is truely not low because I would like to continue breastfeeding for a few more months.

If the diaper output is good and his weight gain is steady, then you're in the clear! Check this page out
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa