Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much ibuprofen can i safely take

Default how much ibuprofen can i safely take

Hi. i have breastfed 4 babies to around 4 months and this is baby number 5, she is now 23 weeks and exclusivly breastfed. Problem is i have had a cough which has had anextremely painful effect on my left lung, chest, shoulder and neck. The doctor is not sure what is wrong but he prescribed amoxycillin which didnt agree with my daughter so i stopped taking them. Now i have been recomended to take ibruprofen to deal with the pain and the inflamation, so far i have taken 200ml in one tablet every 6 hours but this is doing nothing. It is imposible to feed her at night as we have always co slept and to stay on my side all night while she is feeding is vertualy unbearable. I continue to do it because i want to do whats best for my baby, i dont want to change her routine. does anyone know if i can take any more ibuprofen than what i am already.

Default Re: how much ibuprofen can i safely take

Hi and welcome!

Are you asking how much ibuprofen is safe for you to take? Or are you asking whether it is safe for your baby to be exposed to (some specific amount of) ibuprofen through your milk?

If it's the first question, check with your doctor or pharmacist.

If it's the second question, check with your baby's doctor.

As a Leader, I am not qualified to give opinions about medications.

I hope you get some relief soon.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I agree with the pp's - talk to your doctor. Every case is different, but I can tell you that when my c-section incision became inflamed, I was told to take 400mg every 4 hours, but not to take more than 1600mg in a 24 hour period.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Can I ask why they didn't rx an alternate antibiotic, if they felt the problem warranted one to begin with?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

From an ER nurse's perspective...
    Did you get xrays?
    Are you short of breath?
    Have you recently traveled in a plane or a long car ride?
    Have you recently had surgery?
    Do you smoke and/or take birth controll patch/ring/orally?
    My concern is...is this Pneumonia or a PE (blood clot in lung) which would explain the pain...

As far as the Ibuprofen goes, a lot of new research shows that it is not recommended in breastfeeding or pregnancy unless "the risks out weigh the benefits" When I personally see that I say...take Tylenol if you can instead it is safer.

Try splinting when you are going to cough...hug tight to your chest a pillow and brace yourself. To prevent pneumonia (if you don't have it already) do some deep breathing exercises several times a day. And if you know you have pneumonia get on some antibiotics before it gets worse.

HTH, Feel better.
    Theresa with moby wrapmy little so I can work too
    13mos and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*theresa.bug View Post
    From an ER nurse's perspective...
    Did you get xrays?
    Are you short of breath?
    Have you recently traveled in a plane or a long car ride?
    Have you recently had surgery?
    Do you smoke and/or take birth controll patch/ring/orally?
    My concern is...is this Pneumonia or a PE (blood clot in lung) which would explain the pain...

As far as the Ibuprofen goes, a lot of new research shows that it is not recommended in breastfeeding or pregnancy unless "the risks out weigh the benefits" When I personally see that I say...take Tylenol if you can instead it is safer.

Try splinting when you are going to cough...hug tight to your chest a pillow and brace yourself. To prevent pneumonia (if you don't have it already) do some deep breathing exercises several times a day. And if you know you have pneumonia get on some antibiotics before it gets worse.

HTH, Feel better.
    Another nurse here.... totally agree. Good advice. I did want to add though that you CAN take ibuprofen while nursing. Obviously Tylenol is safer but if Tylenol isn't cutting it you can take 600 mg of Motrin at one time. Just don't take it every 4 hours. Take to your doc to get specif recommendations. I took it for a week or 2 post partum to help with the pain in my stiched up vagina....

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!