Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping just one side?

Default Pumping just one side?

Hello,
    I posted a similar question then realized that the pumping forum might be a better place to ask.

My little guy is almost 7months. I've been having some nipple problems on the right side for almost two months now. I want to exclusively pump that side for a while (maybe the weekend) so I can heal.

Any suggestions on how to nurse one side/pump one side for a couple of days without under feeding the little guy or doing crazy things to my supply? If I pump on the right while he feeds on the left, should I immediately offer the milk from the right side? What about when he falls asleep while nursing? Also, any suggestions on speeding healing?

Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping just one side?

Just wondering if you were able to figure this out over the weekend? Otherwise I might have some suggestions.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I've been sort of winging it, but suggestions would be most welcome. I try to pump on the right while he nurses on the left. I haven't quite figured out how to balance when to offer him the bottle from the right side. I'm at work today, so just pumping both sides. Thanks for any help you have.

Healing tips for cracked nipples or abrasions
    The most important thing is to treat the source of the problem. See the link for possibilities.
    When I had cracked nipples with DD1, one side was much worse than the other so I pumped that side and fed her from the other. I couldn't pump very well while nursing so I just nursed her on one side, then pumped the other side afterward and fed her that bottle at her next feeding. If she was still hungry after the bottle, I'd finish the feeding on the healthier side.
    After all feedings/pumping, I would rub breastmilk into my nipples, leave my nipples exposed to the air for as long as possible, then apply Lansinoh. If you use breastpads, make sure to change them frequently.
    I also slept without a bra to speed healing, even though that sometimes made a mess from leaking. I just put a towel under myself.
    You say it's been 2 months, have you talked to a lactation consultant or other health care provider about this?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I've been back and forth with the LC for a while now. At first we thought there was something (bleb, blockage, or something) in there, so I was getting advice to try to work/pull it out. Which is the wrong thing to do to cracked skin, it makes the problem worse. I have a regular checkup with my ob on thursday, so I'll ask about it then.