Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump recommendations?

Question Pump recommendations?

Hi! I am due in about 1-2 weeks, and am thinking about purchasing a pump for the times I am away from home so my husband can feed the baby. I have been researching pumps, but since this is my first baby, I am pretty clueless about what to look for. The two I like the most so far (based on reviews) are the Ameda and Lansinoh brands. Does anyone have recommendations? Also, would it be better to get electric or manual? I will be primarily breastfeeding, but want to allow my husband to help maybe twice a week when I got back to work. Thanks!

Default Re: Pump recommendations?

I exclusively pump since returning back to work and I have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced, double electric pump. It is great. I used it for those infrequent pumping times when I was at home with DD and loved even for occasional use.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I also pump exclusively, and I have the Medela PISA. I would say if you plan on nursing for awhile or if you plan on having another child, it would be a worthy investment. If you really only plan on pumping twice a week, I have heard good things about the Lansinoh pump. I really do love the Medela pumps though, they tend to work really well.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I had an avent isis manual pump. it was great for occasional use and when baby started sleeping longer at night and had to relieve my sore boobs. But it was recalled (in canada anyway), so I'm gonna try the medela manual one. If you're pumping full-time, you prebably only need a manual one.

I have a Medela Pump In Style and love it. It travels well, too, in a nifty black backpack, so it could go to work with you.

If you're going to pump some, buy a couple kits (flanges and the rest of the plastic bits) so that you're not constantly washing up. It's also good to have some of the milk storage freezer bags. I like the Medela ones.
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Most working mothers like the Medela PISA or Purely Yours/Lansinoh pumps, or a rental if you can get it. Check with your insurance company, some will cover pumps if you ask.

Stay away from evenflo, gerber, and first years. They are no good.

If you're only pumping occasionally I would try a manual pump first instead of spending more on an electric. I use an advent Isis and find it fantastic. It's fast, painless, and was much less expensive. I use to pump every night for about 2 weeks to start a freezer stash, but now I just pump if dh uses some of the freezer stash (I replace it when I come home or as he is bottle feeding).
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

The Medela PISA is a great investment, very handy, I take it to work evertday. You never know how much you'll be using it and the double electric make pumping a lot less time consuming
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language