Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frequent night wakings after starting solids

Default frequent night wakings after starting solids

Hi ladies - I'm a little confused as to my son's reactions lately. He is starting to eat more solids (he's 7mos old) and definitely teething more!
    However, he keeps waking up several times at night now. Almost every hour! Before he would wake up maybe twice or three times at most. I usually nurse him back to sleep whether he is hungry or not ( I just figure giving him some breastmilk will comfort him and fill up his tummy anyway). So, I'm not sure if his constant waking is due to these 3 factors:

1 - he's teething a lot lately
    2 - he's eating more solids, although he doesn't seem to have any adverse allergic reactions to the carrots, sweet potatos, pears that we've given him.
    3 - it's been SO darn hot lately and his sweat wakes him up

I emailed his pediatrician but just curious what you ladies think or suggest?

Thanks!

Default Re: frequent night wakings after starting solids

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stormy1 View Post
    Hi ladies - I'm a little confused as to my son's reactions lately. He is starting to eat more solids (he's 7mos old) and definitely teething more!
    However, he keeps waking up several times at night now. Almost every hour! Before he would wake up maybe twice or three times at most. I usually nurse him back to sleep whether he is hungry or not ( I just figure giving him some breastmilk will comfort him and fill up his tummy anyway). So, I'm not sure if his constant waking is due to these 3 factors:

1 - he's teething a lot lately
    2 - he's eating more solids, although he doesn't seem to have any adverse allergic reactions to the carrots, sweet potatos, pears that we've given him.
    3 - it's been SO darn hot lately and his sweat wakes him up

I emailed his pediatrician but just curious what you ladies think or suggest?

Thanks!
    Teething seems to me to be the most likely reason of the three you listed, followed by the heat. It seems unlikely that eating solids is causing the waking, but I suppose it is possible.

If offering the breast puts him back to sleep, then that's a solution whether, as you said, he is nursing for hunger, thirst or comfort.

As crazy as it might sound, have you considered not looking at the clock when he wakes? It was easy for me because I need my glasses to read the clock so I just didn't put them on when my baby woke in the night,

Some mothers find that if they don't know what time it is or how long since the baby last woke up, they are not as frustrated. Just a thought.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I agree with not looking at the clock! I can't see it without my glasses, either. My son is 8 mos now (as of the 4th), but we also noticed a lot more waking in the last month. It has gone back to the usual, by the way. I think he was "practicing" his new skills, as well as teething, being too warm, etc. I kept finding him rolling, trying to tuck his knees up under him and babbling. All in his sleep. And then he'd wake up. I think 7 month olds are so busy that they don't sleep as well. And they don't eat as well in the day time. Has your LO been nursing well during the day? If not, I found taking time to feed him in the bed helped him get plenty. After doing that a couple of days in a row, the sleep thing improved some. The rest was just time.

HTH.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Definately might be teething but if the solids are making him gassey it might be that. Does he eat alot of solids before bed or late in the day???

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I don't keep a clock in my son's room, or I would watch it compulsively! Is there anything else going on with him besides teething? Trying to crawl, etc.? Once my son (6 months) started trying to move around, it increased his night wakings as he would turn himself onto his belly and try moving in his crib!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

I will try not to look at the clock - but sometimes I want to see how much time has elapsed since I last fed him (whether he's waking up cuz he's hungry).
    As to your questions, yes, he's a super busy, curious, and rambunctious baby right now. He's like a 4x4! So maybe his overactiveness is causing him to wake up more often? And yes, he still eats a lot during the day. I feed him his solids about twice a day but sometimes just once a day in the evening.
    And lately he's getting more gassier than usual and they smell pretty badly, like an adult! LOL
    I've tried nursing him while we're both lying down in the middle of night and sometimes he goes right back to sleep and sometimes he doesn't.
    I guess it's like you are all saying, that there are many factors as to why he's waking up so frequently again. I guess I will just have to wait it out and see.
    We both get super tired so at least we try to catch some zzz's during the day otherwise I won't function well.

Thanks for your all your help and suggestions!

My DD wakes up much more often when she's teething. She usually wakes once or twice but when she's teething it's 3 or 4 times...like every 2hrs. It'll last 2-3 weeks and then sure enough a tooth has broken through and she goes back to just waking once or twice. If you can, go to bed early, have DH/SO get up with DS so you can sleep a little longer, and take naps. That's the only way I can function when DD goes through these phases.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09