Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Starting over a week late

  1. #1

    Default Starting over a week late

    I'm definitely new here but could really use some advice. I just recently had my third child but this is the first time I've tried to breastfeed. My husband and I had discussed it prior to delivery but hadn't reached a decision yet. Unfortunately she decided to come before we had really come to a conclusion. She has been bottle fed since she was born (on 6/25) and we're having lots of issues now that I've made my mind up that I'd like to try breastfeeding. I've tried contacting the local lactation consultant at the hospital but she's out until Monday because of the holiday weekend. My daughter seems to be latched on properly but she gets EXTREMELY frustrated really quickly. I've read around about whether your milk is in or not, not being too full, creating a soothing setting, etc. I've done what it says but nothing seems to help. If she latches on without getting angry, she just goes to sleep. I've been having to give her a small bottle afterwards or she just screams. I definitely don't know what do. Any advice would be most appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pullman, WA
    Posts
    363

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    Was your daughter full term or a little early? How is her diaper output? How old is she now?

    It sounds like you're doing the right stuff so far. You're also right to try to find a lactation specialist. Have you tried calling a LLL leader?

    My best advice is to keep your LO skin to skin as much as possible. Strip her to just her diaper and strip yourself to nothing above the waist. Put her on you and wrap a light blanket around the two of you. And just live like that as much as is feasible. Being skin to skin with a baby is like re-booting your computer. It really helps. And feed as often as she demands.

    Has your milk come in yet? How often are you putting baby to breast?
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09


    We . . . no room in the bed for more!

    We love our cloth diapers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    are you pumping any?
    What kind of pump.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    760

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    Congratulation for the birth of your new baby and for deciding to breast feed. I was going to suggest what the previous posters suggested, lots of skin to skin and feed on demand. Come here often - you will sure find lots of support and good advice from experienced mammas.
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

    My kids are my life!

    You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    Dont be discouraged mama, I only breastfed my DS 1 month after he was born and 1 and a half year later he still hasnt let go of my boobs yet.

    BF isnt as straight forward as I thought it was, many of us were faced with all sorts of challenges, so you are definitely not alone. PPs gave some good advise and links already. Follow them and dont forget to pump. When you say bottle fed is that with expressed breastmilk or formula? If it's formula, remember that the more formula you use, the less milk you will produce.

    Kellymom has a lot of useful info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/index.html

    HTH. Good luck mama!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nursienurse View Post
    Was your daughter full term or a little early? How is her diaper output? How old is she now?

    It sounds like you're doing the right stuff so far. You're also right to try to find a lactation specialist. Have you tried calling a LLL leader?

    My best advice is to keep your LO skin to skin as much as possible. Strip her to just her diaper and strip yourself to nothing above the waist. Put her on you and wrap a light blanket around the two of you. And just live like that as much as is feasible. Being skin to skin with a baby is like re-booting your computer. It really helps. And feed as often as she demands.

    Has your milk come in yet? How often are you putting baby to breast?
    She was two weeks early but was definitely a big girl. She's been pooping and peeing just fine. She's 9 days today.

    It has come in but the supply is pretty low. I put her to breast every time she wakes up or begins to show early signs of being hungry. Usually she will nurse for a few minutes but she gets angry really soon after.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    are you pumping any?
    What kind of pump.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    I don't have a pump yet.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*iam.mom View Post
    Dont be discouraged mama, I only breastfed my DS 1 month after he was born and 1 and a half year later he still hasnt let go of my boobs yet.

    BF isnt as straight forward as I thought it was, many of us were faced with all sorts of challenges, so you are definitely not alone. PPs gave some good advise and links already. Follow them and dont forget to pump. When you say bottle fed is that with expressed breastmilk or formula? If it's formula, remember that the more formula you use, the less milk you will produce.

    Kellymom has a lot of useful info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/index.html

    HTH. Good luck mama!
    I still don't have a pump but we are going out to look for one today. The bottles are formula. Once I have a pump I will use breastmilk instead.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,745

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: Starting over a week late

    PP all had great ideas. My thought was that she may be getting frustrated because she is used to a bottle, and they are "easier" to get milk out FAST. So just the change in 'flow" might make her irritated. Sounds like you are doing everything okay though, just keep offering your breast as much as possible to help increase your supply. Baby is the one in control of that, more sucking, more milk. Good luck, and hopefully you can reach a local leader, mine will help out 24/7, so they are lifesavers!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •