Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing milk supply ?

Default Increasing milk supply ?

Hi ladies,

I'm new here and am very worried because my milk supply is going down... My son is 3 1/2 months and, due to some breastfeeding problems (fussines, distracting, etc), he is nursing only during nightime (1 am to 10 am about every 3 hours) During the day I have to pump and offer him ebm. I notice that I just can only pump 4 oz or less every 4 hours.... and he is drinking all, can't build any extra supply, not even one bottle ! I have never had too much milk, but until last week I used to pump up to 6 oz. What can I do ?

I'm in Thailand, so, mother's milk tea or fenugreek tea are not available here. I tried to pump more time each session but it didn't help.
    Any sugestions ?

Thanks,
    Andre

Default Re: Increasing milk supply ?

Getting your baby back to the breast will be the most important thing to increase your supply. Can you use an alternate feeding method such as a cup, eyedropper, or finger feeder? Maybe the little one has nipple confusion?

Can you increase the frequency of pumping? I think pumping every 4 hours is not enough. Can you do it every 2 hours for awhile? It will probably take a few days before you start to notice a difference.

Another thought is try to eat a bowl of oatmeal each day.

Default Re: Increasing milk supply ?

Thank you Jentut for your help. I'll try to pump more frequently, not sure if I can do it every 2 hours, but may be every 3 hours. I'm alone and very busy with the baby and a dog.

The problem with my baby not nursing directly from the breast during the day started about 2 months ago. He used to drink for about 5-10 minutes or less only on one breast per time, sometimes crying, arching his back, etc. He didn't gain any weight in 2 weeks and I was very sad and worried. After observing his behavior for a while, I suspect that he gets tired sucking and fall sleep not drinking what he needs. That's why I started pumping and giving him in bottles. Now he is gaining weight as it should be. It's a lot of work for me but it's working this way. But I'm concern about the supply. Also, we'll be traveling from Thailand to Argentina (more than 24 hours trip) in one month and a half.... he will be 5 months and I'm wondering if I could continue with this busy routine once there....

Thanks again, take care,
    Andre