Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very green poops...

Red face Very green poops...

Hi Mamas...
    I have started my "off the growth charts" DS on rice cereal.He is 4.5 months old and it's been a week since he started. He's only getting about 1 teaspoon of cereal and I'm adding expressed BM to it. (I apologize if this is already posted in here somewhere)
    My concern is this: His poops have been very green. Greeen like the grass on my front lawn and he hasn't been grazing! It is also not quite as thick as it was when he wasn't eating cereal.
    I have considered that maybe he shouldn't be on it as i really did plan on waiting until 6 mths but after the dr's appointment last week she kind of planted the seed that maybe he's ready. I really think he is. He likes sitting in the high chair, he opens his mouth like a little bird and swallows real good, and was fussy this morning until I gave him some.
    Is the poop an indication of an allergy? Is it maybe the iron (it is an iron enriched cereal)? I don't know...should I be concerned?
    He used to have such lovely yellow poops...can anyone share anything with me? Do I have to take him back to the doctor? What about going to oatmeal instead? Help pls.

Thanks ladies!
    Last edited by @llli*2xmom; July 3rd, 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: Very green poops...

*I* would hold off on it for a while. The color doesn't indicate allergy, neccessarily, but might just be indicative that his body isn't ready for solids. He doesn't "need" them anyhow at this point.

See more here about solids readiness...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you for that link...
    I knew I should just go with my instinct, which was to wait longer. I did for my first one but I'm just getting sooooo much outside pressure from people for this one. (All of whom did not BF of course.)
    The other thing that made it hard was what my doctor said. She BF her 3 kids and just stopped the 3rd recently. She mentioned to me how soon she started him on cereal and so I was feeling that if she did it, maybe I should for this guy too. He is a lot bigger than my first one was at this age (5 lbs bigger) but I'm pretty sure he was satisfied before even though he seems to be enjoying the food.
    I think I'm going to back-track a bit and give it some more time before we try again. See if his poops will go back to normal.
    Thanks again for the link...it just reminded me of things I already knew but forgot I guess.

Glad it could help - sometimes we argue with our own gut - never really works out in the end
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.