Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain when pumping

Default Pain when pumping

Please help if possible! My daughter is 5 months old and I have been pumping exclusively since her birth as she would never latch on. I pump enough to feed her solely breastmilk, and would like to continue until she is at least 1 year. However, my nipples are so sore and cracked that I can't even dry off with a towel after a shower without crying. I have been to a breastfeeding center, and they advised that I should purchase larger breast shields and also use an all purpose nipple ointment. I have done both of these, and the intense pain has not decreased! The breastfeeding center can't think of anything else I can do to try and heal my nipples - does anyone have any advice? I'd really like to continue pumping and feeding breastmilk, but I can't deal with this horrible pain any longer! Many thanks.

Default Re: Pain when pumping

First,

Second, congratulations on what you've done for your daughter so far!

Now, about the nipple pain...it sounds miserable Have you had the cracked nipples and pain since your daughter's birth or when did it start? What pump are you using? Have you tried adjusting the suction? You said that the breastfeeding center recommended that you get larger breast shields--do you mean the part of the pump that touches your breast? (Just want to make sure I understand what you have already tried.) Did anyone at the breastfeeding center observe you pumping? Does it hurt to pump? If so, when does it hurt--only at the beginning, throughout the pumping session, only at the end?

I'm sorry I don't have suggestions right now. I need to know more. The more you can tell us about the situation, the more helpful we can be.

One other thought--have you contact an LLL Leader in your area? She might be able to help if she saw you in person.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader