Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding working moms - need interviewing help!!!

Unhappy Breastfeeding working moms - need interviewing help!!!

Hi!
    There is a possibility that I will be invited for an interview with a major company on the opposite coast of the country, and I am an exclusively breast feeding mom. I am going to take my new baby and DH on the trip for sure (we are looking to relocate there, so this doubles as househunting trip). Typical interview trips work out as follows: you fly in one evening, interview runs the whole business day next day, say 9 a.m to 5 p.m., and then you can fly back the day after. But many things are still freaking me out - please advise!!
    (1) I have built up a decent supply of breastmilk in the freezer. What is the best way of transporting it over? This milk is probably going to be very useful for the whole day that I have to be away.
    (2) How can I deal with engorgement discretely? I have quite a good double breast pump, but I am going to need to ask them for 15-20 min to myself at least once (say during lunch) when I can pump, and this is going to open up a whole can of worms about me being a breastfeeding mother of a newborn. I am not sure this is something I want to bring up during the interview. While I know that companies cannot discriminate based on this, and some mothers are going to say why would I want to work for a company that does not have mother-friendly policies, the sad reality is that discrimination is possible and potentially not provable, and I would really like to have a fair chance to get this job. So does anyone have any ideas of how I can deal with this?
    My husband is already leaning towards caving in and going the formula route, but my baby is not even 3 months and I really don't want to do that.
    Do any breastfeeding Moms have interview experiences? How did you deal with these problems?
    TIA for your input!

Default Re: Breastfeeding working moms - need interviewing help!!!

Hi,

I don't have any helpful suggestions about the interview part (I think asking for a few minutes to yourself is a good idea and should be fine) but I can tell you about transporting milk across the country. We flew to my MILs funeral and thought a bottle of milk might be handy.

We put a couple of large blue freezer packs in a plastic bag with some frozen breastmilk into our checked luggage. It arrived mostly frozen, which meant we were fine to use it the next day. I think that should work for you.

Good luck on the interview! Let us know how it goes!

If it's only going to be for one day and you have plenty of frozen breastmilk, you could probably get away with hand expressing in the bathroom one or two times during the interview day to relieve discomfort. I had to do that one day right after I came back to work and I had to be in court all day long for a trial. I bought a couple of cheap hand towels and stuck them in my brief case. Twice during breaks, I went to the ladies room, went in a stall and removed my shirt. I then hand expressed milk into the hand towel. Then I just tossed the hand towel in the trash. You will be amazed at how much milk comes out with hand expression. The hand towel was soaked! At the end of the day when you go to nurse your lo, you may need to express a little milk if you're too full.

One day of not pumping/nursing regularly is probably not going to really hurt anything, but if you go this route, I just recommend nursing as much as possible the in the following days to make sure that you keep up your supply.

I just had a day-long interview myself. I took the breast pump with me (my PIS looks just like a briefcase) and pumped furiously in the bathroom on my breaks and at lunch). Turns out, two of the ladies on the interview panel were quite sensitive to my needs and I ended up using the fridge in the break room to store my milk. However, I'm with you-- I wouldn't want to bring up the nursing mom bit (in my case, one of the gals already knew my situation). Bring your pump and take it with you on quick bathroom breaks. Good luck!