Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: antibiotics while nursing

Default antibiotics while nursing

Hi. I'm taking amoxicillin right now for tonsillitis. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not taking antibiotics may cause some reactions in the breastfed baby? My DS has been fussier this week. He is just getting over a cold that he has had since last Thursday, and he is still a bit congested. So I don't know if that is why he is fussier or not. He is just not his usual self. Nothing seems to make him happy, yet he does not seem to be in distress either. Maybe a bit gassier than usual. I don't know...

Default Re: antibiotics while nursing

Some antibiotics are more likely to cause reactions than others, depending on the medication's known side effects, how likely it is to transfer through the mother's milk, and how quickly it's metabolized by the mother's and baby's bodies. Dr Hale's book "A Medication Guide for Breastfeeding Moms" states that "no harmful effects have been reported in breastfeeding infants. Stool changes such as diarrhea are possible but unlikely" (p19).

One thing to be aware of is that taking antibiotics makes both you and baby more prone to developing thrush.

There are so many reasons for babies to be fussy - teething, schedule changes, recovering from illness, a new brand of laundry detergent, or just because it's Thursday.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank you very much Shannon. That does make me feel much better knowing that. It seems I worry that any new thing I take in may have ill effects on my baby, I guess we all probably do though! Thanks again.

Sounds like your baby is doing fine on whatever traces of amoxycillin are making through to him. I just wanted to suggest that you watch out for hives if you're concerned about an allergic reaction. I recently found out that my DD is allergic to amoxycillin and a raging case of hives is how the allergy presented itself.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i recently stopped taking amoxycillin as my dd eacted badly to it, she had severe nappy rash on day one, and continuesly screamed. She wouldnt sleep and got me up in the middle of the night for 4 nights in a row. i stopped taking the amoxycillin after 2 1/2 days and everything went back to normal.