Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE help....How much should I be getting?

Default PLEASE help....How much should I be getting?

My baby is only 12 days old, but I wanted to start pumping to build up a supply and also to help produce more milk. I generally pump after a feeding and I only get a VERY small amount... maybe 1/4 of an ounce at the MOST. I don't know if this is normal. I have tried feeding on one breast and pumping on the other... and the most I've ever gotten is a 1/2 an ounce! Am I having a problem with production? OR.. is it too early considering my baby isn't 2 weeks old yet? Will my production increase? I got my pump checked and it has great suction, so I know it's not an equipment problem. I can't see how I will ever build up a supply!!

Default Re: PLEASE help....How much should I be getting?

You're doing GREAT mama! It takes a while for you to get used to pumping and you likely won't get much milk out (pumping) b/c you are still nursing baby direct - and b/c your just beginning your bf journey. It will take several weeks for you to establish your supply, etc.

Say if you have to go to work sometime and you are separated from baby for several hours, you'll likely pump more.

I found the kellymom site to be very helpful, here's a page on pumping... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Hope that helps.

Don't panic!!

What you pump is not an accurate indicator of what you're producing. The pump is much less efficient at removing milk from your breast than your baby is. Is there a reason you're trying so hard to establish a frozen stash now (with her so young)--do you have to go back to work soon, etc? The reason I'm asking is that many people recommend not pumping, etc. until the baby is around 6 weeks old; by that time, if the baby nurses on demand, your supply will be well-established and "leveled-out", if that makes sense. Then if you need to add a pumping session to be able to store milk for future use, you may find it easier to figure when the best time is.

Sounds totally normal, momma! Don't worry. Your supply is being established right now and isn't going to be huge. Just keep nursing on demand and saving what you pump after nursing. Your supply will grow as the baby's demands are greater as as the weeks go by.

Keep up the good work!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008