Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, my son has anemia

Default Help, my son has anemia

Hi ladies,

My ped called yesterday and my son does have anemia. This leaves me a bit confused because aren't bfed baby not supposed to get anemia? He's going on to 11 months old and nurses mostly and has about one solid meal a day. According to my ped it's because I have not been feeding him enough solids. I'm wondering as well, if perhaps this could mean that maybe I have anemia and my milk, not having enough iron, could have cause him so become anemic? I know you can't really tell me if I do or don't but since I'm uninsured my best best is to ask. He seemed perfectly healthy, the boy has more energy than the average puppy Also, from what I read up on it, anemia doesn't always entail a deficiency of iron but could be a deficiency of other vitamins too, what is a way to find out? And lastly, because of all this he has to start taking iron supplements and I know those are not gentle on any tummy so I'm wondering what I could do or how I could give it to him that would make it easier on him?

Thanks a bunch ladies, I love having other mamas out there that can help me!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Help, my son has anemia

I found this to work well for my son. You can use either the Floradix or Floravital. We use the Floravital since it has less ingredients. DS did have some irritation, but I think it was more due to the OJ I was mixing it with. I don't know if it could have anything to do with a possible anemia on your end. I'm planning to take iron throughout the entire time my baby nurses this time just in case. I tend to be very pale & was anemic for a while after my son was born, so maybe I stopped taking iron too soon. Good luck!!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I'm sorry you got bad news from your pediatrician. And I'm also sorry that she made you feel guilty about not giving your kid "enough" solids. If it makes you feel better, my pediatrician says that up to the age of 1 year, solids are not nutritionally necessary, and are just for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. But for the record: my pediatrician is a big fan of vitamin drops!

Don't feel like you did something wrong by breastfeeding- your milk does have iron in it. Usually it's enough, but sometimes it isn't. I am not sure if anemia is linked to deficiencies in other vitamins, but it seems like it couldn't hurt to give your baby some vitamin drops, just to be on the safe side! And if you take some as well, even better: I took my prenatal vitamins until my DD was around 18 months old, and always felt that they helped me quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jaki.myny View Post
    And lastly, because of all this he has to start taking iron supplements and I know those are not gentle on any tummy so I'm wondering what I could do or how I could give it to him that would make it easier on him?
    You might want to increase your child's iron-rich foods if you feel the iron supplements are too much for his tum. Apricots, lentils, spinach, and meats are all rich in iron.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi - my son hasn't had his anemia test yet but will at 9mos. However, don't fret too much about his anemia. It is easily curable especially at a young age.
    I'm a little on the fence about anemia tests since from my knowledge (from doctors and nurses), anemia blood levels changes from day to day, week to week, month to month, etc. So, I'm curious too about how my son's test results will say. However, since I'm a vegetarian, iron supply is VERY important to both me and my son. So I not only take prenatal vitamins, but I supplement with a lot of food that have iron in it (not meat ofcourse! )
    My OBGYN said that it's not necessary for me to take additional iron pills even when I was pregnant and no need while I'm breastfeeding since he knows that I'm taking a prenatal and eating well.
    Try eating lots of food with Iron in them if you're hesitant about taking any iron pills or giving them to your son. The iron you absorb will pass through the breastmilk and your son will get some of what you have.
    Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that you've received distressing news from your doctor. This article has the paragraph in it that I was going to type up for you, so I'll link it here for you: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/vitamin.html Scroll down to the section on iron.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank everyone so much for the support and information! I read several sources that do say that it's fine to exclusive bfeed babies until they are one so I was a bit opposed to the test but I kind of wanted to know. As for our ped, lets just say that he's def not the most open minded doc that exists. I'm beginning his iron regimen tomorrow, and we both are going to start eating healthy organic food from now on. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in the coming weeks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!