Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase

Default Lipase

I didn't want to hijack the other thread I saw on this, but I have a question. Does freezing your milk immediately after pumping stop the Lipase issue? I have a feeling it doesn't, but I have to ask.

Also, everything I've read says you should cool the milk "quickly" after scalding it, then freeze it. What does "cool it quickly" mean? Can you just remove it from the heat and put it in your storage containers and stick in the freezer or do you refrigerate it in the pan for a few minutes before putting it in the freezer? Sorry if these are dumb questions, they're just nothing I've read the answers to yet.

(BTW- I have come to the conclusion, after 7.5 months , that I have this problem. I feel terrible and it's probably the reason Katy has never eaten much during the day. )

ETA: I just read that scalding won't help with the funky taste. Is that true? And...One more thing...My milk NEVER smells funny, just tastes terrible. Is that a sign of a lipase issue? Does it always smell bad? I'm so confused!
    Last edited by @llli*ak411; July 3rd, 2008 at 06:50 AM.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Default Re: Lipase

I can answer a couple of your questions. No, freezing immediately will not stop the lipase issue - it will slow it down (the lipase breakdown), but not stop it. Make sense?

Also, to cool quickly after scalding, I submerged the the saucepan I used in a bowl of ice water. Then put cooled milk into the freezer bags. This worked for me.

I'm not sure about your last question as my milk definitely smelled funny and baby didn't want to take it - that's how I found out I had this problem.

HTH.

ETA. I think scalding must help with the funky taste as my lo would take the scalded milk but not the milk not scalded (frozen before I found out I had this problem).

Thanks for the info! I'm confused about the whole lipase "thing" b/c everything I read says the milk will smell sour, which mine doesn't. I don't know where to go from here other than to start tasting some of my frozen milk, from varying dates, and see where that takes us.

I have such a big stash this time around and I'll be so sad if I have to dump it. Aaaahh!
    All three, all natural!

I DID have to dump my entire freezer stash b/c I didn't know about this. I didn't have this issue with dd1. I don't know about milk smelling sour - my fresh never did for up to 5 days +. Only the older frozen stuff smelled bad.

can you donate milk w/ this issue?
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyssa.mommy View Post
    can you donate milk w/ this issue?
    I was so sad and angry, I dumped mine immediately. However, I did read later once (on here I believe) that yes - it can be donated. That may be something to look into.

That's what I would do! I know it goes through a whole pasterization process so I figure it would work out.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Ok, I want to make sure I don't waste anymore milk...Can I refrigerate my milk after scalding or does is have to go directly to the freezer? It would go to the sitter's the day after being pumped so it'd be in the fridge overnight. I want to keep this as easy as possible for the sitter and I know thawing can be time consuming, but I'll freeze it if that's what it takes.
    All three, all natural!

As far as I know, if you are planning to use the next day, you don't need to freeze it. Is your milk going bad in just one day? My fresh would stay good for 5+ days (without scalding). I think with lipase issues, it varies on how long it takes to go "bad" - you will need to experiment. For example, scald and freeze most, but keep maybe an ounce out in fridge overnight. Test that the next day to see if it's good. It's trial and error to figure out how long each individual's milk lasts before the lipase breakdown (from what I understand).