Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help, baby WONT take formula or EBM

Default Need Help, baby WONT take formula or EBM

Hi all!
    I want to wean my kiddo (9 mos) but she won't take EBM, formula, or anything else with a milky consistency (ie flavored pedia-drinks).

She can drink water or juice out of anything (straw, sippy, regular cup) without spilling a drop...but the minute she gets a sip of formula or EBM, she spits it out!

Tried "starving her" of fluids but that didn't work either...the 9-10 hours I am at work she strikes.

She eats great, though and so my real question is what foods can I focus on to allow her proper nutrition when there is NO formula/milk supplementation?

I have asked a doc or two but everyone gives me advice about how to wean (gradually replace one feeding at a time, try to introduce a sippy cup, etc) but that is NOT my problem...I cannot replace a feeding when there is nothing to replace it with! Help!

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

Default Re: Need Help, baby WONT take formula or EBM

Just wondering why you're trying to wean already? Maybe if you give EBM in a bottle she would be more willing to try.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

Wow, 3 Hypnobirthers in one thread?!?! That's cool!

I agree 9 months is awfully early to start weaning. What's the rush?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

As long as she is nursing well 3-4 times in 24 hours she realy doesn't need to have extra milks, cows milk or other wise. Would you say she is still nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours?

how long are you gone from baby while your working?
    Are you pumping any?

lots of moms find they can wean from the pump at that age and just nurse when they are together.

how does your baby do with solids?

Dr sears has a great nutrition book

I have lots of reasons to start weaning now...some valid and a few selfish ones. I plan to do a nice and gradual wean, though, so by the time I'm totally done my LO will be 11-12 mos old. I think I've done the best I can to give her a good start and I can't feel guilty about wanting to stop now (trying to keep this a positive experience and right now I am fighting off feelings of being trapped...)

Anyhow, my kiddo knows how to drink out of a bottle, glass, sippy, straw. Problem is, she will only drink juice or water. She spits EBM, formula, anything "milky" out.

She eats anything she can feed herself (she won't eat purees anymore so I can't slip the nutrition in that way. Only whole foods...I think she wants to be a big girl!!!)

My main question is this: I am beginning to wean my child. She will not take formula or EBM. What foods can I give her to make up for the lost nutrition?

Another question - how have you given the EBM to her? warm, cold? roomtemp? freshly expressed ??
    Has she ever taken it (EMB) from a bottle?

This page might have some info you're looking for.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hmmm...diluted coconut milk? avocadoes? eggs yolks?

http://westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html

Egg Yolk (4 months +)
    Boil an egg for three to four minutes (longer at higher altitudes), peel away the shell, discard the white and mash up yolk with a little unrefined sea salt. (The yolk should be soft and warm, not runny.) Small amounts of grated, raw organic liver (which has been frozen 14 days) may be added to the egg yolk after 6 months. Some mothers report their babies actually prefer the yolk with the liver. From Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

Pureed Meats (6 months +)
    Cook meat gently in filtered water or homemade stock until completely tender, or use meat from stews, etc., that you have made for your family. Make sure the cooked meat is cold and is in no bigger than 1-2 inch chunks when you puree. Grind up the meat first until it's almost like a clumpy powder. Then add water, formula or breast milk, or the natural cooking juices as the liquid.

Baby Pate (6 months +)
    Place 1/4 pound organic chicken livers and 1/4 cup broth or filtered water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for eight minutes. Pour into a blender (liver and liquid) with 1-2 teaspoons butter and a pinch of seasalt and blend to desired consistency.

Baby Custard (6 months +)
    Mix 1 cup raw milk or whole coconut milk, 1 cup raw cream, 6 egg yolks, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of stevia powder. Pour into buttered ramekin dishes. Place ramekins into a Pyrex dish filled part-way with water. Preheat oven to 310 degrees and cook for about 1 hour.

Smoothie for Baby(8 months +)
    Blend 1 cup whole yoghurt with 1/2 banana or 1/2 cup puréed fruit, 1 raw egg yolk (from an organic or pastured chicken) and a pinch of stevia.

Coconut Fish Pate (8 months +)
    Place 1 cup leftover cooked fish, 1/4 teaspoon seasalt, 1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice in a food processor and process with a few pulses. Add 1/2-1 cup coconut cream or whole coconut milk to obtain desired consistency.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

How about EBM smoothies?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

She actually took formula supplementation until 1 mo and EBM from a bottle (when with dad or grandma) until 3 mos...then nothing! (I suffer from excess lipase, which spoils my milk quickly and is hard to smell. I'm thinking perhaps this issue popped up somewhere around that same time and I was unknowingly giving her spoiled bottles...and she learned not to take them???)

Anyhow, she won't. No matter what (hot/warm/cold, mom/dad/grandma, bottle/straw, etc)

So...a little creativity from here! Love the smoothie idea, will try that one for sure. Will also be sure to add egg yolk and the other foods (she already LOVES avocado!). Anyone know of any other "super foods" I can add in?

Also, can I sneak formula powder into foods (sprinkle over sweet potato chunks, for example) or does it not work that way?

What about a daily baby vitamin?

Thanks so much for your ideas so far...looking forward to hearing more!

heres the link to dr sears book:

https://www.askdrsears.com/store/detail.asp?pid=14