Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping - East to West Time Difference?

Default Pumping - East to West Time Difference?

This may seem like a silly question but here goes..

I will be traveling to the west coast in a couple of weeks and will need to pump while I'm away from LO. Has anyone felt the effects of the time difference when it comes to pumping? I usually pump at 11ish and 4ish when I'm at work which means it will be 8ish and 1ish west coast time, would my body need to adjust? Maybe I'm just overthinking this.

Any advice would help. Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping - East to West Time Difference?

I don't think it's a silly question.

Is your lo going to travel with you or will you be away from your baby for a few days?

Unfortunately LO will be staying at home. I'll be away for 6 days. I'm also stressing about how and when to pump during my flight. It's funny really because I was assigned on this trip when I was on maternity and at the time BFing was really difficult. I thought that I would have quit BFing way before the trip and now it's only a couple of weeks away. I'm so happy I made it this far!

I would think you would need to pump at your usual time which would be different on the West Coast, especially if you are not going to be there a long time where you can gradually make up the difference. As far as pumping on the plane, can you go to the bathroom and use a battery pack?
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

Got it.

So yeah, I'd pump when you would normally at your usual tiem zone plus any other time your baby would normally nurse (or as close to that as you can get).

Try to arrange for a fridge at your hotel - tell them you need it for medical reasons. I was able to get one free when I told them this before.

Take extra bottles with you, pump often, and you'll do great.

Also - there have been moms who've pumped in plane bathrooms or even airport bathrooms when needed. A while ago a mom posted a lot of helpful info about flying with breastmilk - I'll dig up that post and reply again with the link.

All the best to you.

R.e. flying with breastmilk....

You are allowed to bring bm over 3 oz even w/o baby. If you want to be sure you are covered print out the TSA policy.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...n/formula.shtm

Other forums which may be helpful for you:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ing+breastmilk

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ing+breastmilk

Thanks for the info!

I have a pretty good freezer stash going and although it hurts, I might end up just pumping and dumping. But of course I'll check with the hotel first and see if I can get a fridge.