Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: haircoloring and breastfeeding

Default haircoloring and breastfeeding

Hi- this may be a silly question, but does anyone know if it's safe to color my hair while I'm still breastfeeding? I know that coloring while pregnant isn't recommended but what about while lactating? Will the chemicals get into the breastmilk at all?

Thanks!

Default Re: haircoloring and breastfeeding

According to the BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by La Leche League International, no evidence exists that the nursing mother's use of hair-care products, such as hair dyes and permanents, has any effect on her breastfeeding baby. When a mother uses hair-care products, some of the chemicals will be absorbed through her skin. If her scalp is healthy and intact, less will be absorbed than if the skin on her scalp is scratched or abraded.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Default Re: haircoloring and breastfeeding

I colored my hair once when I was pregnant and again since BFing b/c OB said there wasn't any ill effects...
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.