Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adopted Downs Newborn Baby

Default Adopted Downs Newborn Baby

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me make this decision.

We are adopting a little girl with Downs at the end of Sept. and I would love to be able to breastfeed her as I have heard the enormous bonding experience you receive through breastfeeding. I think this is such a gift if I could actually be able to do this... since we haven't been able to experience childbirth yet, this is one aspect that could touch us with having sharing in such a close "mother-like" experience. On top of it all I think a special needs child could benefit greatly by this.

On the other hand I heard that it could be even more of a challenge to breastfeed a Downs baby even as her birthmother. When you add the fact that I would be her adopted mother, I worry that this will not be possible.

Default Re: Adopted Downs Newborn Baby

Will you be adopting your baby as a newborn?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I moved your thread to the Relactaction and Induced Lactation board, I hope you will get some good responses here

This is an awesome gift to give, good luck on your journey!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thank you ... I didn't see this thread.

Yes, we will get her right from the hospital. We will have a room at the hospital. And are hoping to try right away... not sure how that will all work out. I haven't started doing anything yet. If I decide or get feedback if this is actually going to work, I am planning on pumping soon., taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle .... is there anything else I can do?
    Last edited by @llli*rosebudfantasy; July 2nd, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

Here are a couple LLL resources to get you started. I don't know much about adoptive nursing or nursing a baby with Down's Syndrome. I do know that Down's Syndrome babies have difficult swallowing and latching, but my SIL breastfed my nephew for 24 months, and he has Down's Syndrome.

Adoptive nursing
    Breastfeeding a baby with Down's Syndrome

I asked about whether or not the baby would be a newborn, because its generally easier to nurse a baby who has not had other nipples. If you can keep the baby from alternative nipples, you are likely to have better success, but I have no idea how that takes form with a baby with a disability. I would discuss this option with the birthmother, and the medical care team.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)

Thank you, I did see these links.

Does anyone have any experience that can help me?

My friend's baby has Down's. It was very hard for her to nurse at first. The baby was only 4lbs at birth and just not very strong. She could latch on just fine, but got tired easily after only nursing for a few minutes. It took 3 solid months of pumping and working with her. Then one day she just tried to get her to latch on and she did and has been nursing ever since then with no problems. She is 13 months old now and still nursing like a champ.

I think it took her a lot of patience, work with an LC, and perisistence. But it can be done!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

The way I see it, you will need to work extra hard at getting a milk supply. So following the links that would help you to induce lactation would help. Hopefully a mama with personal experience with a baby with Down's Syndrome will step up to help out.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly

I have no experience to help you . I just wanted to say that what you are doing is wonderful.

Good luck, I hope you find the answers you need.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.