Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supply question

Default supply question

A brief history:

Around 3 months, my son had gone down to one night feeding, sometimes two. Those stretches of sleep quickly went away as he started rolling over, attempting to crawl, etc. He would wake up 3-4 times a night, 2 if I was lucky! With all the night feeding, my breasts make a lot of milk overnight. He is now 6 months. He pretty much takes forever to soothe to sleep unless I nurse him, so he nurses down for all naps and bedtime...I guess I take the easy way out for now!! Plus, he nurses best when sleepy since he is terribly distractible.

I doubt this will become a regular pattern, but the last two nights he had a stretch of 6 hours overnight, or only 1 feeding. He would feed on one breast and conk out again. So in the morning when he awoke to be fed, both days I had 1 breast that felt VERY engorged, and the other one was pretty full too. He ate a pretty good breakfast, but I don't think he totally emptied all the milk that was there. Like I said, he isn't a good daytime feeder because he is impatient to do other things.

My question: am I going to need to pump in the middle of the night to keep my supply up if DS is not waking up as much??? I plan to BF for a year, so halfway there! But I really hate to interrupt any longer stretches of sleep that DS grants me (thought it may not last that long ) to pump!!! Anyone else with a similar experience, let me know if your supply took a major hit. TIA!
    Last edited by @llli*dreame; July 2nd, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html

Default Re: supply question

It sounds like your baby may be going to sleeping longer stretches for now. If you aren't getting plugged ducts during those longer stretches, you could just count your blessings, and get some sleep. Later on, if/when baby needs you in the middle of the night again, your supply will quickly adjust to those different needs. Our breasts are never truly "empty", milk is always stored in there, and the act of removing milk tells the breasts to make more milk.

Enjoy your sleep!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

It sounds like your baby may be going to sleeping longer stretches for now. If you aren't getting plugged ducts during those longer stretches, you could just count your blessings, and get some sleep. Later on, if/when baby needs you in the middle of the night again, your supply will quickly adjust to those different needs. Our breasts are never truly "empty", milk is always stored in there, and the act of removing milk tells the breasts to make more milk.

Enjoy your sleep!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

My baby is only 4.5 months, however, she's a sleeper. So I've had about 2.5 months now of her sleeping 7 hours. So far it has not seemed to affect my supply...and I am even back at work and pumping during the daytime. I am a bit nervous about what might happen when AF appears again, but so far, so good.

Thanks...so far I haven't seen any drop...but of course, it's still unsure if the longer sleep stretch is regular yet. I had a night with a lot of interruptions recently, and then a longer sleep stretch last night. Appreciate the insight!
    Mama to William James born January 2nd, 2008
    Nursed 2 years, 2 months! and I think we're done!
    And our new Lucy Jane born March 30th, 2010, 7 lb. 4 oz., 20.5 inches

Pro-breastfeeding quotes:
    http://www.quotegarden.com/breastfeeding.html