Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to Increase Supply

Default Need to Increase Supply

I have a wonderful 5 mo little boy who has been breasfeeding great and gaining weight like a champ. He has started to eat more to a schedule during the day at day care and he's up to 7 oz three times while he is there. The only problem is that when I pump during the day at work, I'm only producing about 4 oz each time, so I'm not getting enough for the next day. My son will eat once before bed and then I will try to pump again before I go to bed to get more, but I'm still not getting the 21 oz that he eats at daycare.

How do I increase my supply. I have been trying to up the number of times I pump a day, but I just get less each time and at the end of the day I am still only getting about 15oz. Please help!

Default Re: Need to Increase Supply

It sounds like you're doing a great job. Your pumping output sounds perfectly normal right now, but the amount he's eating when he's apart from you is more than we typically see in a breastfed infant. Most breastfed infants, throughout their first year of life, will take in about 1-1.5oz of milk for each hour that they are separated from their mother. So, they may take in a 2oz bottle every two hours, or a 4oz bottle every four hours.

I'm guessing that your baby is in daycare the typical 9-10hrs per day. So, baby would normally need 9-15oz of expressed milk. He's currently being given much more than that.

Can you talk to your daycare provider about your concerns? There are many reasons that breastfed infants get overfed in daycare. From having bottle nipples that are too fast (typically, slow flow nipples are best, and they need to be replaced periodically, as the holes can get bigger with use and washing), to a provider that is more accustomed to feeding a formula fed infant who does take in 8oz normally, to a provider not being able to recognize your baby's needs for things other than milk, to a high sucking need that's not being met.

Switching to slow flow bottle nipples is most likely the easiest fix, because it's so non-confrontational, but talking with the provider will tell you more about the situation.

If you do decide to work with the provider to lower the amount he's taking in each day, you can offer to slowly get the bottle sizes down, and reassure them that you'll be feeding the baby plenty when you are together, so that baby's total intake will be the same, they'll just be getting more from you instead of the bottle. And that means less work and stress for you.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!