Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Criticized for night feeding

Default Re: Criticized for night feeding

My DD at 5 months has pretty much the same schedule as your baby-tough somedays, yup, but if comfort is what she needs, then that's what she gets. Also, she's been a heavy night nurser since day one, so that's when it's quiet, no distractions, cuddled up in my arms, so she actually nurses better and longer than during the day when there's so much else going on. I'd not give it another thought, but maybe I would use some of the snappy comments already posted-especially the one about cycles-love that one!!!!LOL

Why is it that everyone else always seems to know what's right for you and your baby? (Is he sleeping through the night, is he crawling yet, is he talking yet, is he potty trained yet, is he this, is he that....) I have twins, so I'm used to a TON of questions about my kids (they're obvious fraternal twins, but I still get the "how can you tell them apart") The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes people just knee-jerk a question without really understanding.

My BF son is 10-1/2 months old and still wakes 1-2 times a night to feed....Sometimes more than that if he's teething. Maybe it is a comfort issue, since my twins weren't breastfed after a week old and slept through the night consistently at 6 months old. However, I keep telling myself that a) he knows how to fall asleep on his own, and b) so what? Just like a PP said, those nighttime feedings are the best of the 24 hour period.....He feeds well, is calm, and the cuddle is awesome. I've got the whole thing down in less than 15 minutes.

I have a friend that BF her twins until they were 3-1/2 years old. Not for me, I admit, but who am I to criticize? The bottom line is, what works for your friends & extended family is different from what works for you. So, when someone criticizes you, just say, "Yep, my child still wakes up in the night, but that's OK. I'm enjoying my baby, and this stage won't last forever."

My ds is almost 7 months... He slept through the night the enitre month of May, then started getting up again 1-2, sometimes 3 or even 4 times a night to nurse again. He would often eat really well and for longer than during the day, like similar posts. Other times, it was definitely for comfort, he would only nurse a couple minutes and fall back to sleep. I ended up just keeping it to myself due to all the comments from others. Just in the last couple of weeks, he started sleeping through again.
    As for the engorgement question, for me it worked out fine. I was a little full the first couple of nights he slept through, but I pump all day at work, so that really helped to relieve the discomfort and also helped boost my freezer stash And, when he started getting up again, he just nursed away, no issues with not enough milk. Amazing how our bodies know what to do!!!

I love the "cycles" response too! That's great!!!

My almost 9 month old dd still nurses through the night and I have a friend that asks often. She does not "poo poo" it, but I'm sure inside she would love to say something. We're very good friends though. I just say, "Yeah, she gets up and I don't have a problem with it in the least. I love those quiet times in the middle of the night with her. She'll grow up so fast."

She seems to accept that okay. Not that I care what she thinks!

My 9.5 mos old ds still nurses often at night, lately he has been stuck to me all night, and I mean all night. (Teething)

When people ask if he still wakes to nurse at night, I say "Yes, but he sleeps with me, so I don't even really notice."

Deb

My little man is 22 months old, wakes up every night for a feed. He isn't hungry, asks for his milk and has a few sucks, rolls over and goes to sleep!
    He loves his breastfeeding and I hope that he grows out of it because I am dreading having to stop him. I have not slept for 22 months and I am a working Mum too. I would love a full nights sleep but I don't think I am going to get it for a while. My worst critic was my Mum and Dad who asked me why I had to do these 'new fangled things' when I decided to breast feed! They still don't know that he nearly had to go into hospital because he wasn't feeding enough in the few days after his birth. I could not tell them cause they would have tried to push me into bottle feeding, my doctor try to push me into that to. Only the midwife and pead at the hospital encouraged me. I was determined that I would exclusively bf and I did it, and still do it and he loves it.
    Just do what makes you and your family happy.
    Take care

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

These are great responses. I just wanted to add that we get the "Is he sleeping all night yet" question A LOT, mostly from family and friends that don't have children. I think that since they are inexperienced, they just don't know what else to say to make converstation really.

"-Hi! How are you guys? -fine... -This little guy sure is cute! - thanks, we like him... -Does he sleep through the night yet?" x5 at least at any social situation, even from people we don't know! With two weddings in the last two days, we have heard this so many times that the response is pretty automatic. "Not really, but I don't mind. His Dad has learned to sleep right through it" etc, with as much elaboration as they seem interested in. And I find I am actually a much better mother at night than I am in the day anyways - peaceful, calm, with time alone with my little one and no worries.

The general ideas about babies are that they are cute, cry a lot, poop a lot, and keep you up all night. And no one really wants to start a converstation about crying or pooping, I think. Well, hehe, except us moms with each other. My sister and I have had extensive conversations about our children's poop... Motherhood certain changes things - isn't it Wonderful??

"new fangled things" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    That's great. MY grandmother told me I was doing things "the old fashioned way" in a tone that said it was better to be modern. What a funny world. 22 months and still waking? Yeah, you may be in for a long haul... on the other hand, if he's only waking once, you're getting to an age that you can actually discuss this issue with him. My dd started putting herself to sleep when she started asserting, "Abbey do it self!" about everything else. I just suggested she do the sleeping thing that way too... BUT she STILL wakes to nurse. She's 27 mos. I got a weekend away recently so I'm rested for another 20something months.

Pazygogo, I think you're right. Most folks are just making conversation. I love your attitude about motherhood.

Thanks everyone for all your responses to this post! I knew I'd get the support I needed from you all!
    -Sam

I see. Thanks, Jennifer!
    My ds doesn't sleep through the night consistently yet. he tends to change his sleep patterns, so me pumping like crazy at nights.