Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning

Default Pump weaning

My sister has been exclusively pumping for her son. She needs to wean due to starting IVF treatments. How exactly does she go about pump weaning? I never really had to wean from the pump as I was producing so little, that I just stopped one day. I told her that I would start by just cutting off a few minutes from each pumping session. After doing that for some time, continue to cut more minutes off and posssibly increase the amount of time between pumping sessions. Am I on the right track? Or is there something else I should tell her.

Also, I have heard mixed things about mixing BM with formula. Is this okay? Does anyone have any articles about pros or cons on doing this. I wish she would continue to bf, but her insurance she currently has will cover IVF - a miracle in itself!! They will be moving out of the state in about a year, so they need to do this soon.

TIA

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Default Re: Pump weaning

Probably her weaning will really have to do with how much she is pumping now and how quickly she needs to wean.
    You've got it though, you slowly down the time per session. Also she can try spacing sessions further apart. She can also try pumping "less" meaning instead of her normal 2oz pump 1.5 then stop.
    These are all variations of the same thing, if she were on an aggressive weaning schedule she'd use all three at once, if she had all the time in the world she'd do one thing and slowly. I imagine she's somewhere in between - slow and steady wins the race. Plugged ducts and mastitis can really set you back.

Good luck to her!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Default Re: Pump weaning

Thanks Jessica, I will let her know. I know that she has had really good output - as in 5 - 8 oz per pumping session. I do not know how much of a time crunch she is on, but I will let her know. Thanks again!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70