Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tell me about ur delayed/modified vax schedule

Question Tell me about ur delayed/modified vax schedule

Hi ladies,

Just got back from my son's 9 month app -he's actually 10 months so I was a little late. Well, he's doing fine. I spoke to our ped about vax's because I've been opting out since his 4 month shots. I told him that I wanted to wait until he was one and then start giving him his shots on a monthly basis. Well, it ended up that he got one shot today, as well as getting poked to check for anemia (bc the doc thinks I'm not feeding him enough solids..) When I asked him if we should create a shot schedule or just do month to month he said that it could be month to month bc it didn't really matter since it would be a made up schedule. Is this true, it doesn't matter or is there a preferred schedule? I've heard of Dr. Sears recommending a certain schedule but haven't bought his book to check on it yet. Are certain vax's best at a certain age/time? And, the ped mentioned concern for vaxing him each month because he was worried that it would create a fear factor, this does concern me, but I'm not sure how many months apart I should put b/w vax's then.

Also, how do you mama's deal with the situation. I'm terrible at this, when he was tiny and did get his shots I would get so upset and it didn't change today. I was okay for his actual shot but by the time he had to go to the lab for his finger poke I asked for someone else to hold him bc I was starting to freak out and I didn't want to get him nervous. I'm not squeamish about blood or anything but I can't stand my son being hurt yet I feel guilty if I hold him and guilty if I don't.

Thanks ladies, this a tough topic and any advice will really help
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Tell me about ur delayed/modified vax schedule

Can I give you the easy answer ( ) - get the book You have at least a whole month to get it and read it... Seriously, it's the best way to go about this...

Regarding the situation when he had to get poked... I prefer being the one to comfort my child and being in charge so it's never been an issue for me to not be the one holding him, but I know some people aren't as comfortable with it.. so I don't know what to offer you except this anaglogy - would you prefer your DH sitting in the corner watching you deliver your next baby while some random nurse held your hand??
    Last edited by @llli*number3; July 1st, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

nak

it is hard watching your lo get poked; try remembering that he is going to look to mommy first for comfort. i'm guessing this is your first lo? you'll probably see a lot more "owies" in the years to come of varying severity. mommies really are superheros to a child that age and your kisses really do heal owies.

one thing that comforted my sons was to bf immediately after the shot(s)...i did it right there in the clinic before getting the lo re-dressed. in the eyes of my sons breast really is best. and it calmed them immediately.

hang in there momma!!
    2005 2008

I'm interested in this as well. What's the book called? I'd like to look it up.

i Dr sears vaccanation book, it it sooo good and informative its worth the $13.99 (or cheaper if you buy it on amazon or e-bay ) its called "The Vaccince Book By Robert Sears" good luck and this nook will definetly help you and answer any of your questions

Yes, GET THE BOOK!!

Just search "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Robert Sears on amazon. It is more than worth it IMO. There is also info about it on the askdrsears.com website.

I just comfort my LOs as best I can during shots. My 3.5 mo. old DD lays on the exam table and I put my face close to hers and speak gently to her while letting her suck on my (clean) pinky. Then I nurse her right away after.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

alrighty- I am a RN and a mama. You can't just chose your own vaccination sch to a point.... some shots have to be given 2 months apart etc... We vaccinate but opted out of chicken pox, hep a, mmr, and rotaviirus.. Also Hep B is not needed for a baby.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmama2 View Post
    alrighty- I am a RN and a mama. You can't just chose your own vaccination sch to a point.... some shots have to be given 2 months apart etc... We vaccinate but opted out of chicken pox, hep a, mmr, and rotaviirus.. Also Hep B is not needed for a baby.
    Actually you can. There is a minimum to give vaccines between a series of shots (as you mentioned - it's generally 2 mo) but you can stretch them out beyond that if you choose - ..
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have the Dr. Sears Vaccine Book as well. I brought it with me to the Ped. and he was very understanding and responsive to my concerns. In the back of the book, there is an outline of the traditional schedule as it compares to Dr. Sears recommendation. It is very helpful. Good Luck!