Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: URGENT Need help!

Default URGENT Need help!

My son is 4 1/2 months and we have been exclusively breastfeeding. He was in the NICU so I pumped every two hours and had an huge supply in the freezer. I went back to work six weeks ago, but had stopped pumping since I had a large supply and was only working part-time. When I noticed I was depleting my stash quickly I rented a hopsitla grade pump to increase my milk supply and increase my reserve (I was pumping at work with a manual pump).

Now my little man is gowing thru a groweth spurt and once again he has depleted by reserve. I am trying to pump before feedings, after feeding, from the breast I have not fed him, from the breast I just fed him and nothing seems to help. I produce milk just fine when he latches, in fact I woul dare to say I have always had an oversupply problem since I pumped so much before. Now, I pump and in 15 minutes I can not get anything! Sometimes I will get 1 to 1.5 ounces from only one breast (and it seems it alternates).

This morning I fed him from the right and felt let down from the left. As soon as I was done BF I tried pumping the left and for fifteen minutes nothing came out! Afterwards I had a deep sharp pain in my breast that lasted for thirty minutes.

What should I do? I do not want to supplement with formula while I am at work. It seems that when I am workl at least some milk comes out when I pump!? I will continue to pump, I think I am goign to strat pumping every two hours when I am at work (I was doing every three to four before), but can someone tell me if they have any clue what I should do or what is happening.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks

MammaKat
    Mammakat0830

Mommy to Christian Alexander 02/15/08
    and Bryan Andrew 05/31/03

Exclusively and trying to ...

Default Re: URGENT Need help!

I can't offer much help, but I can suggest drinking lots of water and eating oatmeal (and you may want to take supplements, but I know nothing about that). I would definitely suggest pumping more at work if you can, since it seems that works better for you. I too, can't get milk after a feeding - but I can get milk late at night (about 3 hours after my lo's last feeding).

sorry I couldn't be more help I'm sure there are lots of pumping mama's that can help much more!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I drink Mother's Milk Tea if my supply needs a boost. You can get it at most grocery stores or GNC's etc. Nursing your baby as much as possible should help too.
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

When you aren't getting anything now, this is after you've nursed him or close to when you nurse him? If so that is completely normal, your supply is only making what he demanded you have to tell your body over the course of several days that you need to make more by him nursing more or you pumping more.

Also can you tell us how much he's taking in a bottle? Many times we see that babies are being overfed (though no ill intentions, just they want to suck and suck down the whole bottle even if they are not hungry) and mom's go though a freezer supply very quickly.

When you are at work, your replacing a feeding with pumping - but at home your pumping in addition to nursing. This is why there is the big difference.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Ok, so I went to work today, and left some BM in the fridge hoping it was enough... got a urgent call at 3:40... baby is out of milk for his next feeding. Luckily my job is flexible and I could leave at 4pm so my DH brought the baby to the office and I fed him.

At work I was able to pump every 2.5 hours and got about 2. to 2.5 ounces each time. When I got home I pumped and then baby wanted to eat. He fussed at the begining since I had just pumped but then got another let down and was satisfied.

I am going to continue to pump every 2.5 hours and feed at the breast on demand. IU am hoping with the larger demand, there will be a larger supply. I will be out tomorrow at work but home afterwards until Monday, so I have several days to build my fridge supply back up. Thanks for all the feedback and wish me luck!

Mammakat
    Mammakat0830

Mommy to Christian Alexander 02/15/08
    and Bryan Andrew 05/31/03

Exclusively and trying to ...