Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits for the formula fed at 6 mths?

Default Re: Benefits for the formula fed at 6 mths?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ak411 View Post
    Our pedi recommended an iron supplement for DD's soley b/c they were BF'd. Even then, we didn't give it to them. I don't think they suggest it for FF babies.
    I thought that was the whole premise for starting solids at 4 months for ffed babies? I thought that was why "iron fortified infant cereal" was deemed so important?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

and you're so right petal - it's no wonder she is so confused
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    and you're so right petal - it's no wonder she is so confused
    Maybe I'm confused about the supplement...It's been awhile and since I ignored the advice I might have gotten the info confused somehow.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I dunno where I am now, I think it's the latest advice we ought to be taking notice of concerning when FF babies start solids. And, I guess all this process vitamin enriched baby food from the supermarkets is marketed around them too. Very confusing. Do BF babies get a look-in - nope!

Aren't most formula brands iron-fortified?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    I believe so, which is why I thought the Pedis were only suggesting the supplements to BF'd babies.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I'm pretty sure that the AAP recommends 4-6 months, when the signs of readiness are met, for the introduction of solid foods, regardless of whether the baby is breastfed or formula fed. My ds didn't meet the readiness until closer to 7 months, though. Everyone, including my pedi, thought we were crazy for waiting, but imo, the signs are more important than the age. There is nothing magical that happens when a baby turns 6 months that would indicate whether or not he was ready for solids. There are a combination of things--like pincer grasp, sitting up, the end of the tongue thrust, AND age--that make up a baby's readiness for solid foods. It became obvious to me that he was ready when he was practically screaming for food from my plate, and he was about 7 months old at the time.

As for iron, breastmilk contains a bio-available iron that is easily absorbed by infants. It is, in fact, the perfect way for babies to get iron. That's why I never felt the need to supplement with iron in my fullterm infants. I would have considered iron supplements in my babies if they had been premature, but not fullterm. Iron is stored in an infants body during the last few weeks of gestation, and there is generally enough iron stored to last the baby until he/she starts solid foods--around the 6 month mark. If iron is a concern, offering foods high in iron coupled with foods high in vitamin C.

I will look today to see if formula is fortified with iron.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I think fromula has iron in it, but it's not so readily absorbed b/c it's not BM.

Do have a look.

In fact I had always thought that BM got no iron in it, and the baby is stored up with iron from before birth in womb. That's why we had to start our BFkng babies on solids at 6 mths b/c that's when the pre-birth stored iron levels are dropping low? And, I wouldn't have thought it mattered in a FF baby, b/c the formula has got iron in it and the baby is at least absorbing some of it along with it's pre-birth iron store. Correct me if I am wrong.

And, drinking BM along side iron rich solids enables a BF baby to absorb far much more iron than a FF solid eating baby.
    Last edited by @llli*petal; July 1st, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Most, yes, and that's what is rec'd.

As for iron, breastmilk contains a bio-available iron that is easily absorbed by infants. It is, in fact, the perfect way for babies to get iron. That's why I never felt the need to supplement with iron in my fullterm infants. I would have considered iron supplements in my babies if they had been premature, but not fullterm. Iron is stored in an infants body during the last few weeks of gestation, and there is generally enough iron stored to last the baby until he/she starts solid foods--around the 6 month mark. If iron is a concern, offering foods high in iron coupled with foods high in vitamin C.

The iron in both formula and cereal is not natural and very little is absorbed (I want to say 10%). But I don't see why a ff baby drinking iron-fortified formula would need cereal for the iron if that makes sense.

I would not give solids to a baby who could not yet sit up.

pak

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks for highlighting that, cos I had always thought till now that BM got no iron in it and that's why we are recommended to start the solids at 6 mths.

As for the formula fed baby's case I don't see the need to give solids earlier than 6 months either. To me formula is a complete food and it's 2nd best food in round about way. In fact I think a 4 month old FF baby will absorb the iron better from the formula than the solids to start with, because the gut and body is still maturing. And, I wouldn't be surprised if a 4 month FF baby actually loses out on iron during that starting solids time.

Could be a load of rubbish, I am just opening thinking.