Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefits for the formula fed at 6 mths?

Question Benefits for the formula fed at 6 mths?

My sister had started her completely FF baby on solids at 4 months. I am surprised by this and I am not moaning cos it's her baby and she can do what's she likes.

Is there any benefits for a formula fed baby to start solids at 6 mths? I thought the formula fed would also benefit from starting solids at 6 mths as well as the breast fed?

My sister had gone completely the opposite way of me in raising her baby as oppose to me raising my babies. Sometimes I think she's doing it on purpose and she had got all the old biddies on her side that's for sure! Weird.

Default Re: Benefits for the formula fed at 6 mths?

DD is breastfed and we started solids at 4 mo. b/c she was showing all the signs of readiness....IMO it is case by case w/ each individual
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

actually (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) I think that it's normal and actually encouraged that formula fed babies start solids before breastfed babies. Formula doesn't have all the good stuff like breast milk has so babies need to supplement with solid foods much sooner. Breastfed babies on the other hand don't need solids until much later (they can go an entire year on breastmilk alone ) so even at six months, a breastfed baby is just eating solids for fun - and getting the basis of his/her nutrition from breastmilk. Breastmilk continues to change and adapt to the childs needs as that child grows. Formula, is just formula. Formula fed babies need solids to ensure that they are getting enough nutrition.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; July 1st, 2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Smile Re: Benefits for the formula fed at 6 mths?

Not true I am afraid and I was sure that I've read somewhere that FF babies also benefit from starting solids at 6 mths; reduces allergies and lowers the risk of FF babies being too over weight, reduces the strain on the kidneys etc. And also they are in a better body composure to eat solids at 6 mths.

My sister's baby has always slept through the night since birth and hadn't began waking up during the night or anything to suggest going on solids and the baby isn't certainly no where sitting up yet.

I've just found a link that's suggest it's still better to start the solids about 6 mths for a formula fed baby.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnan...ed_solids.html
    Last edited by @llli*petal; July 1st, 2008 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*petal View Post
    Oh I didn't know that. I thought formula was pumped up with all the vitamins and things they need. Anyway I am sure that I've read somewhere that FF babies also benefit from starting solids at 6 mths; reduces allergies and lowers the risk of FF babies being too over weight, reduces the strain on the kidneys etc. And also they are in a better body composure to eat solids at 6 mths.

My sister's baby has always slept through the night since birth and hadn't began waking up during the night or anything to suggest going on solids and the baby isn't certainly no where sitting up yet.
    there are certain milestones that all babies should meet before starting solids (and sitting up is definately one of them). I just assumed that the baby was showing signs of readiness.

following quote is from http://pregnancyandbaby.com

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends starting solid foods at four to six months. What many mothers don't realize is that the four month recommendation applies more to formula fed infants, and the six month recommendation applies more to breastfed infants. Lactation Consultant Anne Smith discusses starting solids here.

Formula is not as complete a food as breastmilk, and formula fed babies are more likely to become anemic than babies who are breastfed, so they need iron-enriched food earlier. The most important thing to remember is that breastmilk is a nutrient-dense food and should be the primary source of your baby's nutrition throughout the entire first year of life while his brain is growing so rapidly.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Unhappy Re: Benefits for the formula fed at 6 mths?

This is weird b/c I am finding that's there's a bit of a debate on this issue, cos on the Internet I am finding lots of websites who don't agree and others that do agree that a FF baby should wait till 6 months!

No wonder my poor sis is confused!

What you think girls?

From what I understand the AAP has changed their recommendation to delaying solids until 6 mos because that is when the intestines are mature enough. That goes for breastfed and formula fed babies. That is my understanding, but I may be wrong about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    From what I understand the AAP has changed their recommendation to delaying solids until 6 mos because that is when the intestines are mature enough. That goes for breastfed and formula fed babies. That is my understanding, but I may be wrong about it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    do you know if formula fed infants should receive an iron supplement?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    do you know if formula fed infants should receive an iron supplement?
    Our pedi recommended an iron supplement for DD's soley b/c they were BF'd. Even then, we didn't give it to them. I don't think they suggest it for FF babies.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!