Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it bad?

Default is it bad?

is it bad that my dd just turned 7 months and we only do a solid once a day and sometimes on crazy days i skip it ?! i've been going slow with the solids and have been doing one fruit or veg a day. what should i be doing at this stage? she loves her food too but i think i don't want to give up her nursing so much.

tia!

Default Re: is it bad?

you should do what you and your lo are comfortable with. every child is different so i think it varies as far as what's normal. there are still lo's who are getting most of their nutrition from bm at a year.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

That sounds very similar to what we did. We usually did one "meal" (which is a very big stretch of the word) a day, but there were days we didn't offer solids, and I worried too, but he was fine.

What you're doing is just fine. According to my pediatrician, breastmilk alone is enough nutrition for the first year. Up until your baby turns one, solids are just for experimentation with tastes, textures, and oral motor skills. The transition from needing only breastmilk to needing lots of solids is gradual, so don't be surprised if breastmilk constitutes the majority of your baby's diet until well into the second year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is exactly where we were at 7months. 1 thing. Once a day. If we missed it no biggie. Oh I miss me my 7month old . Who could be happy with a piece of watermelon for 45minutes and didn't stand up in high chair EVERY NIGHT. Sigh. He could also sit happily chewing on his shoe in a pile of laundry while I cleaned an entire room. Oh I miss that sweet good baby!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    What you're doing is just fine. According to my pediatrician, breastmilk alone is enough nutrition for the first year. Up until your baby turns one, solids are just for experimentation with tastes, textures, and oral motor skills. The transition from needing only breastmilk to needing lots of solids is gradual, so don't be surprised if breastmilk constitutes the majority of your baby's diet until well into the second year.
    ....my dd1 was only doing 1 solid meal up until around 10 mos. when she went up to 2 (1 oz.) meals. She didn't really get interested in solids until after her 1st birthday.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Unhappy Re: is it bad?

I felt tempted to skip it on awful days, when my LOs were on 1 meal a day but I didn't cos I was afraid.

we did the same & dd didn't miss it a bit on the nights we skipped. She's 8 1/2 mos now, & still only does solids at night most days.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

We do once a day too, but with a couple combinations Maybe some cereal with fruit & a veggie or two! Not a lot - just variety

"Children reinvent your world for you." Susan Sarandon

DS is 7 months 3 weeks and he's not even interested in solids. We're doing BLW so I do offer him the food every few days or more if we're busy but he's not ready to eat them. I'm not too woried about it but DH is...he wants us to be spoon feeding him cause he doesn't think BM is quite enough despite how many times I tell him it is. Anyways, I wouldn't worry if you skipped a night as someone else said solids at this point are for experimenting with.
    Married to Jesse 06-12-04
    SAHM to Isaac 11-05-07