Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No poo in over 2 weeks! infant laxatives

Default No poo in over 2 weeks! infant laxatives

My 4 1/2 month old used to go once every 7 days, suddenly it's been past 2 weeks. I've never had such a long time in between. When she was a newborn a few times I used rectal stimulation(I really don't care to try this again) My ped recommended not letting her go longer than 12 days, and using a baby laxative at that time. How long has your babies gone in between poo diapers? Do any of you use infant laxatives?

Default Re: No poo in over 2 weeks! infant laxatives

I think the longest my daughter went was 6 days or so. 2 weeks is a long time but it can be normal for a breastfed baby to go that long. I would give it another day or so.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Can I assume baby is getting nothing other than breastmilk?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I heard that b/c the BM is so perfect for some babies that some babies absorb nearly all of it and so therefore there's very little waste. I would give it another few days. If your baby seems comfortable, bright and well within herself, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You don't wanna use baby laxatives on a completely BF baby though, b/c constipation is virtually unheard of in a BF baby. It's might cause your baby tummy pain for nothing and upset her tummy balance and plus she didn't really need it in the 1st place either.

I would do what you did before on her as a new born.

No I haven't used baby laxatives and my DD2 used to go quite long without doing a poop. As long as my DD's was gaining and had plenty of wet nappies I wasn't too worried. I think once the health professions gets involved, they get too panicked and over involved in it. B/c the majority of the time they don't usually come across BF babies, and when they do - sometimes their lack of experience shows.
    Last edited by @llli*petal; July 1st, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

2 weeks is not unheard of. It all depends on how your baby is acting. I wouldn't give a laxative unless you think she is in pain. A friend of mine has a 4 1/2 month old and she usually goes 10-14 days in between. The pedi said she wasn't concerned because there was no blockage that she could feel and the baby is very happy. Some babies use all that breastmilk and don't have much waste if any at all.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

My babies went 12-14 days with no BMs, but plenty of pee!! There is no waste with breastmilk. If your child is strictly breastfed, I would caution against the use of laxatives which are very painful. They burn and sting and if the baby doesn't even need it....it's just not worth it.

Your ped must not take care of a lot of EBF babies.

Oh and when they did finally have a big blow out, it was a big watery mess. It's lots of bile with virtually no solid waste. HTH.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

i agree with everything all the other posters have said... not uncommon at all
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

My son went 6 days without poo, my doctor recommended prune juice, everyday, mixed with water, it tastes nasty, but they get used to it, prune juice is pure fiber, and makes them very regular, we have poo everyday now!
    Loving every second of being Ethan Shea's MOM!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pattymadrid View Post
    My son went 6 days without poo, my doctor recommended prune juice, everyday, mixed with water, it tastes nasty, but they get used to it, prune juice is pure fiber, and makes them very regular, we have poo everyday now!
    That's what my ped recommended too. Good luck, but don't get too worried, remember BM is the perfect balance for their bellies so you lo may just be using all that their getting!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

My dd is almost 2 months old and she poops every 4-5 days. When she finally does go it is a lot. She blows out of her diaper. I know your little one is taking longer to go, but as long as she is happy I wouldn't worry to much.
    Dawn
    Mommyto4: Jeremiah 10, Javier 4, Jacob 2, Serenity 0