Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stubborn baby??

Default Re: Stubborn baby??

One of the ways I eased into the sidelying position was to sit up and start in the cradle position and then ease down into the bed without detaching the babe. That way we both learned what it should feel like without starting from the latch. After we tried that a couple times, dd was able to latch on like a champ and I know how to hold her and my breast/body. HTH!

Our dd had the same issues with being put into her bassinette in the early days & would only sleep with us; eventually we found out it was due to acid reflux. sleeping on us kept her patially elevated and that helped her a lot. Your baby may not have this problem at all, but just thought I'd bring it up; I would have loved to have known that was a possibility back then.

the side-lying position is a life-saver. i find a good trick for stepping away to get a much-needed shower or brush your teeth or what-have-you is to make sure you have some really firm cusions (nothing that would pose a suffocation risk however) around and place them against baby's back while bf side-laying... then when baby is nice and asleep, snuggle another small one against baby's belly so that baby still feels secure, then you can roll away slowly... either that or get hubby to roll on in as you roll on out. i can't tell you how many times we've eaten our meals in relays!

[ j ]

Janesosquare: you guys do tag-team dinner too? I figured we were the only ones! I second what Evin suggested, at first she could not latch right in this position so I would nurse her wherever I eventually wanted to lay down and then slowly inched my way to a laying down position. Once she was more comfortable nursing that way, her latch in that position improved. Now, I swear this baby can see in the dark! Nightvision. She helps herself and hardly wakes me. Our room is DARK and she always finds the nipple and latches somehow!

We had the exact same problem!! What finally worked for us was warming up a receiving blanket before we wrapped our baby in it to go to bed. My husband would warm it up in the dryer while I was feeding Colton. When he was done nursing we would wrap him in the warm blanket and put him in the cradle. It's been about 5 days and we no longer have to heat up the blanket! Good luck to you, we had several nights of chest sleeping and know how hard it is!!