Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn baby??

Default Stubborn baby??

My baby is 2 weeks old. I've been having problems laying her down... everytime I go to lay her in her bassinet, she wakes up. I can't let her sleep on my chest forever. If she does sleep in her bassinet, she only sleeps for about an hour and then she's crying. I'll pick her and she acts like she's hungery. I'll feed her but she only sucks a few times and then she's out. I know she's using me as a pacifier. It's ok during the day but I can only get about an hour of sleep at a time unless I let her sleep on my chest.

Any suggestions.... I'm desparate!!

Default Re: Stubborn baby??

I had this problem with my son too. I use the side-lying position for nursing and let him co-sleep. It helps us to get the most sleep.

I've tried that... we do co-sleep but she doesn't seem to latch on right when I try the side-laying position.

Is it ok to give her a pacifier??

I don't have a ton of useful tips ... mainly just empathy. My little girl was the same way ... she only slept on my chest for the first three months of her life! At about three months I was able to lay down with her on my chest still, then *slowly* roll her over to her back ... the key is *slowly* and then keep a heavy hand on her for a few minutes while I slowly move it away (too fast and the sudden loss of my body heat woke her up ... I still do this with her). Starting at 4 months she now prefers laying next to me to sleep rather than on my chest.

What also worked for me is nursing her to sleep lying down, then doing the same thing as above when she's deeply asleep. (We co-sleep though, and I always lay next to her when she sleeps).

This source talks about the same nurse to sleep technique:

Nursing to Sleep and Other Comfort Nursing
    "... You can also work on slipping away after baby goes to sleep. Make sure baby is *deeply* asleep and no longer swallowing before you try this (you may have to wait a while). He'll then be doing what we sometimes call "flutter sucking" or comfort sucking, a really light suck. When a baby is in a light sleep, you'll see facial grimaces, partially clenched fists, muscle twitches, fluttering eyelids, and overall tense muscle tone. You can recognize deep sleep by an almost motionless face, regular breathing, still eyelids, and especially the limp-limb sign -- arms dangling weightlessly at baby's sides, hands open and muscles relaxed.

Once baby is in a deep sleep, try and slip away very slowly. One thing that sometimes helps is to slip a finger in baby's mouth near the nipple, then ease the nipple out so baby is just sucking your finger. Then you can ease your finger out of his mouth - it helps to put a little pressure on baby's bottom lip as you do this. By doing this, you can often keep baby from waking. Putting something right up next to him that has mom's scent (a t-shirt, pillow, or an animal he sleeps with) also helps.

My kids often seem to detect the loss of body contact and warmth when I get up. As I'm getting up, I keep my hand(s) on baby for a few moments, then *gradually* take them away so the transition isn't so sudden. Baby will usually stir when I get up, but often goes back to sleep if I keep my hands on him till he gets still again. It can also be helpful to put a hard pillow (preferably a warm one that you've been sleeping near) beside baby in the spot where you were sleeping so that he doesn't feel empty space if he reaches out in his sleep. If baby was resting his feet on me (common with mine), then I'll sometimes even put a pillow under his feet. With an older baby/toddler, I lay him down on top of my pillow if I'm trying to put him down on the bed when he's already asleep. (Keep in mind that it's not safe to use pillows with young babies due to SIDS risk.)

It's often easier to slip away during a nap when you're both lying down. If you're nursing sitting up, the position change may be waking him - you might try nursing him on a pillow in your lap so you can just transfer him to a bed or the floor without moving him around as much. If baby wakes when you put him in his crib, you might try moving him to a pallet on the floor or your bed, instead of his crib - he might nap better in a different place."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda4101
    I've tried that... we do co-sleep but she doesn't seem to latch on right when I try the side-laying position.
    Have you tried laying her in the crook of your arm or on a pillow?

Here are some helpful links to aid in the side liying position:

Nursing Laying Down

Some tips on nursing while lying down

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks for the tips... I'll try them tonight and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda4101
    Thanks for the tips... I'll try them tonight and see how that goes.
    It took me several weeks before I was comfortable with the side-lying position. I had to practice it during the day before I got good enough to do it in the dark. DS is 6.5 months old, and I still need a night light.

Also, you may need extra pillows. I like to have one behind my back and between my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by jentut
    It took me several weeks before I was comfortable with the side-lying position. I had to practice it during the day before I got good enough to do it in the dark. DS is 6.5 months old, and I still need a night light.

Also, you may need extra pillows. I like to have one behind my back and between my legs.
    Yes, it took me a long time to get it right too. The pillows are a must, especially if you want to fall asleep in that position. It's surprisingly difficult to hold yourself on your side in the position you need to be in to nurse if your back isn't supported (or at least not for a long nurse/sleep). I also made the dumb mistake the first month of trying to stay propped up on one elbow, resulting in a completely numb arm and major shoulder/neck pains!

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Thank you... practice makes perfect, right??

That's a good idea. I'll practice feeding her like that during the day. Thanks for all the advice.

My dd did the same thing. Do you have a recliner or could you rig up something that you could sit up in the bed with pillows behind and around you? We slept in the recliner for pretty much the first two months because it took me that long to get the hang of the side lying position. It was awesome because I could just lean back and sleep with her on my chest and then sit up nurse, then sleep again. Just be sure to have several pillows to help prop up your arms and lean against.