Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk allergy?

Default milk allergy?

I have a 8 week old son at home that I am bf'ing. For the last few weeks he has been really fussy half way through a feeding by arching his back, kicking his legs and pulling away from me with the nipple still in his month. Also I feed him 2-3x at night and each time we are done it takes him 10-15 mins to settle back down and fall asleep. During this time he thrashes around and straigthens his legs until he passes gas. I do burp him after each feeding and generally get a burp from him. Could he be allergic to my milk or could something else be wrong? I did talk to a LLL leader and she told me that I have over active letdown. when this happens he generlly pulls off but than relatches with no problems. So what else could be happening? He is gaining weight fast.

Default Re: milk allergy?

symptoms of allergy wouldnt be apparent while he was eating. They would show up as blood or mucous in the stools along with some other symtpoms. And he wouldnt be allergic to BM, he would be allergic to say the dairy in your diet.
    does he spit up at all? im just curious because some of the things you described that he does kind of sound like acid reflux.
    also, would you say he is always pretty gassy?

This resource is one that really helped us out with our little one's food sensitivities:

Dairy and other Food Sensitivities in Breastfed Babies.

The source also explains:

"Some babies with allergies or food sensitivities exhibit fussy nursing behavior. Often when there is a sensitivity to something in mom's diet, baby will come to the breast hungry but when she tastes/smells something in the milk that will cause her GI distress, she pulls off, bats her head back and forth, etc. Sensitivities to foods in mom's diet are rare. If this is the problem, you will most likely notice other symptoms, such as excessive spitting up or vomiting, colic, diarrhea, rash, persistent congestion or runny nose, or excessive gas."

Do you have any symptoms of oversupply? See here:

Oversupply
    Forceful Let-down (Milk Ejection Reflex) & Oversupply

Overactive let down is often associated with too much milk (oversupply).

Also look into the possibilty of reflux.

Let us know how things progress for you!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; August 1st, 2006 at 03:57 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon

The source also explains:

"Some babies with allergies or food sensitivities exhibit fussy nursing behavior. Often when there is a sensitivity to something in mom's diet, baby will come to the breast hungry but when she tastes/smells something in the milk that will cause her GI distress, she pulls off, bats her head back and forth, etc. Sensitivities to foods in mom's diet are rare. If this is the problem, you will most likely notice other symptoms, such as excessive spitting up or vomiting, colic, diarrhea, rash, persistent congestion or runny nose, or excessive gas."
    oh i guess i was wrong about the allergies during nursing. learn something new every day! thanks.