Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytime weaning?

Default Daytime weaning?

I go back to work in a month when DD will be 9 months old. I'm choosing not to pump at work because (1) DD cannot stand the pumped milk and makes the most awful face whenever I give it to her, whether that's in a bottle, cup, or by straw (2) I had planned to stop BFing her completely by the time she was a year old because I want to TTC again and would like my breasts to myself for a little while. Originally I had planned to wean her at 6 months, but the two of us enjoy our BFing relationship and I didn't have the heart to stop.

I've been trying to give DD a bottle since she was 2 months old. The only time she has ever taken it was a time when she was sick for a week with vomiting and diarrhea. Pretty much she hates the bottle and pushes it away. The only fluids she will drink are water. She loves water, but I know she cannot survive on that.

How can I prepare her for going to daycare full-time if she won't take a bottle or any type of liquid with nutritional value (not even juice)? I'm okay with nursing her at home, but I don't want to be nursing her all night or I won't be able to function during the day. If she would take to a bottle, I would be okay with weaning her completely.

I've tried sippy cups, which she is okay with, but only with water in them. Also, I think she is the type of baby who needs to suckle, which is why I wish she would take a bottle.

She does eat stage 2 baby food. Will she be able to get enough calories from that during the day? I don't want her to lose weight because she has always been in the 25th % or lower.

I don't know what to do. I'm completely at a loss. I'm afraid it's going to be a very rough transition for her.
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07

Default Re: Daytime weaning?

I responded to your other thread, but will ask here too.

Was the breastmilk you offered previously frozen?

A baby's primary source of nutrition for the first 12 month of life should be breastmilk (or formula). So 9 months seems a little young to wean her completely, especially since you are concerned for her weight.

I'm also curious about how long the pumped milk was out of your body before you gave it to your baby. Some moms have an issue with excess lipase which can make their pumped milk taste pretty nasty. Scalding the milk inactivates the lipase, so there is a fix for this problem if it is the reason why your baby rejected the pumped milk.

Also, when you offered the bottle, did you try giving the bottle, or did someone else? Some babies won't take a bottle from mom because they know she has the real deal under her shirt.

In your shoes, I would try giving her a sippy with milk or formula in it and seeing if she will take it. If she will not take formula or pumped milk under any circumstances, I would try to nurse her as much as possible during the non-working hours and at night, and maybe consider finding a daycare that is close enough to work that you can slip over for a feeding during the day. Since you're rightly concerned about the caloric content of solids, I would offer only the most nutritious ones. Skip the cereals, and offer fatty but healthy things like whole-milk yogurt and avocado.

I know this must be a difficult situation!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I responded on the other post as well - but will post here too since some of my other questions were answered.

So what would the ideal schedule for you, in 1 mo look like?

Oh - 1 Q I did still have was can you take a bit of a longer leave??
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    I
    Was the breastmilk you offered previously frozen?
    Yes, I've given her both frozen and fresh BM. I've also tried offering her different types of juices, tea, and different types of formula. Water is the only type of liquid she will accept.

I know that 9 months is young for some to wean, but I think that I've come pretty far when I really hated it in the beginning and wanted to quit at 2 weeks. Then made a goal to get to 6 months and made it there.
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*catspage View Post
    Yes, I've given her both frozen and fresh BM. I've also tried offering her different types of juices, tea, and different types of formula. Water is the only type of liquid she will accept.

I know that 9 months is young for some to wean, but I think that I've come pretty far when I really hated it in the beginning and wanted to quit at 2 weeks. Then made a goal to get to 6 months and made it there.
    I think you've done well to make it this far (see this link for a little more supprt to the benefits you've given her )

So what's your ideal situation look like?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    I responded on the other post as well - but will post here too since some of my other questions were answered.

So what would the ideal schedule for you, in 1 mo look like?

Oh - 1 Q I did still have was can you take a bit of a longer leave??

Ideally I would like for her to take formula during the day and only nurse her in the morning, when I bring her home from daycare, and at night for bedtime.

No, I can't take a longer leave. I wish I could, but I've been off for 9 months and financially can't afford to stay home any longer. DH got laid off a few months ago and just started working a new job, but is making less than he was before.
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07

okay The best laid goals are met successfully with a plan! - I am sure many mamas have done just that. Did you get a chance to check out the link I gave on your other post (talked about combo feeding?)

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number3 View Post
    okay The best laid goals are met successfully with a plan! - I am sure many mamas have done just that. Did you get a chance to check out the link I gave on your other post (talked about combo feeding?)
    Thank you for your help. No, I haven't checked the other post, but I will go back and take a look.
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*catspage View Post
    Thank you for your help. No, I haven't checked the other post, but I will go back and take a look.
    okay - do check it out and let us know if it's helpful (or not )

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson