Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 Mo Old Waening!

Default 9 Mo Old Waening!

My Supply is very very low. Let me start from the beginning and apologize now for the length of this post!!!!

I had gotten sick and was at home for 1 month with my LO. When I returned back to work I was not even pumping 1/2oz from each side. I went and rented a hospital grade pump and then started taking fenugreek. This did help with the production, but I am still not producing enough to fro her 3 3.5oz bottles at daycare. I have been waking up in the middle of the night to get an extra pumping session in. I am producing about 10-14oz a day from pumping about 2-4oz a pump session. I pump 2 times at work and 2 times at home.

My Lo had started on solids around 6 ½ months, about 12oz a day, and then started sleeping thought he night. This surely does not help my supply.

I would like to get my supply back up, but think she just might be weaning. 1 lactations told me she was weaning and the other told me she was not. I am thinking about supplementing with a bottle at daycare for 1 feeding so that I can start sleeping through the night.

Any suggestion to get my production back up?!?!??!?!?! Please help me, I would like to nurse her until she is one, but if she is weaning then that is okay too. I would not fully wean her, just supplement 1 bottle at day care so that I can sleep through the night!!!

Here is her schedule:
    5:30a nurse
    7:30a nurse
    9:30a 3.5oz bottle (EBM) 4oz solid
    11:30a 3.5oz bottle
    1:30p 3oz solid (EBM)
    3:30p 3.5oz bottle(EBM)
    5:30p nurse
    6p 4oz solid
    8p nurse

PLEAE HELP ME!!!!
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

I am becasue you are and you are because i am!

all day and Love all night!
    with DH Corey for 1 1/2 years!

Default Re: 9 Mo Old Waening!

well...all the stuff that womanly art recommends - eat well, drink well, pump extra in between nursing, make sure you pump/hand express whenever she has a supplement...
    think i read somewhere that you need to pump roughly once to every 3 hours you are away but not sure at what stage that applies really.
    also, are you sure your supply has dropped - sometimes i feel like my boobs have *disappeared* and wonder if there can be any milk there but sure enough my ds seems satisfied - believe it is there, relax and maybe it will flow more easily xxx
    "You may strive to be like them,
    but seek not to make them like you" Kahlil Gibran

everything you said i have done. Everytiem i pump i hand express also to get about another 1oz. when she nurses she is getting enough, but i am not pumping enough! that is what is making this so hard. i am not sure what she is doing or if it is me!?!?
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

If you're on any meds, like hormonal BC, that can really affect your supply.

Perhaps switching to a different pump, or replacing any worn out parts on yours, would be helpful. This article has more thoughts on what to do when your pumping supply goes down. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

Infants rarely wean before a year. Biologically, human infants typically need to nurse to age two or beyond. Nine months is way before that. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bflength.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

My understanding is that babies don't self-wean when they are under 1 year old. Is your baby still nursing well, and seeming satisfied, when you are together? If so, she's not weaning. But she may be decreasing her demand somewhat, leading to a decrease in supply for you and a difficulty in pumping out those bottles during the day.

Some moms have real struggles trying to maintain their supply while pumping- so don't feel like you are alone! Not being able to pump frequently enough is one reason why supply trouble are common- so adding in a pumping session whenever possible is a good idea. When I needed to increase my supply, I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. (It was exhausting.) You may want to try pumping after nursing, and power pumping: pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for ten, and finally pump for ten again for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in a 1-hour period. Power pumping is supposed to mimic the way a baby feeds and boosts mom's supply during a growth spurt. A dying pump motor is another possible culprit for your difficulties- motors get old, and pumps lose suction- so you may want to get yours checked. You might also try nursing your baby as frequently as possible whenever you are together. A lot of moms notice an upswing in production after a weekend home with their babies, because a suckling baby is more efficient than a pump at boosting supply.

If you can't get your supply up, and you must supplement, don't worry: you will still have milk when your child wants to nurse. You can keep on with 4 feedings a day for as long as you both want to. My DD is 28 months and nursing just 2X per day, and I still have milk for her. Not a huge amount, but it's there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i have had my pump check, and old parts were replaced. it still pumps well. I have done everything, and for the past 2 months i have waking up in the middle of the night to pump. I am taking synthoriod for a thyriod conditions, but it is all normal adn it was just checked.

Could it be that my body will not produce anymore. I pump all teh time, after feeding, and after i pump i will manualy express to get evey little drop!!!!! i am just so tired. when i pump during the day i will get 2-3oz. if i pump every 2 hours i only get about 1/2oz from each side, that is why i only pump 2 times evey 4 hours at work. i will be on vacation wtih my LO all next week and will have her nurse allt eh time, but some times she gets distracted adn that is another problem.
    i am just so confussed right now!!!!

1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year