Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't Seem to Get This Right

Default Can't Seem to Get This Right

Ok. Feeling a little discouraged. Baby started crying and pull off the breast two days ago. This only happens during the day. First feedings and night feeds are going well. I think that I'm overproducing, but can I be doing that only during the day???

Latch is still painful. When will the nipple toughen up?! Feeling like I might need to give up. HELP.

Default Re: Can't Seem to Get This Right

try and call your local lll leader! They can help beter than we can on line
    how old is your baby?

I agree with the previous poster - it would be great if you could contact your local leader for some one-on-one support. This can be especially useful if your baby's latch is not quite right - but keep reading.... we're not leaving you hanging in the breeze!

Please do fill in a little more info so we can try to start helping here.....like asked above, how old is your baby? How is diaper output -- i.e., about how many wet and poo-y diapers per day? What was your baby's weight at birth? Weight now?

When your baby pops off your breast when you are feeding, do you see alot of forceful spray from your nipples? (Trying to get a sense if we're talking about a particularly strong milk-ejection-reflex that could be too much for your little one -- not to worry; there are ways to deal with this!) Fill us in some more on these things and anything else that you think might be different in the feedings that are going well vs the ones that aren't.

You are very right that breastfeeding - in the early days - is hard and it's often painful!! You aren't alone. This is not intuitive and it can be overwhelming when you are already tired and emotionally drained. But the fact that your baby IS feeding OK sometimes is GREAT and also a good indicator that YOU WILL INDEED be able to do this!! Try to hang in there a while longer.... it DOES get easier and it really won't hurt forever!! You really are off to a good start with this and are giving your baby such a wonderful launch in life.

Take a deep breath....and come back and fill in some more info and we'll try to help!
    -linda

She's two weeks old. Diaper output is fine. There's no spray when she pops off, but she does choke when she latches on to the breast for the first time. I thought that I was producing too much but she seems to be fine after the initial choking.

Lately she's been crying at the breast and then I think that she might not be getting enough milk or that the latch isn't quite right. My nipples still hurt throughout the feeding and they are gray and painful afterwards. Feeling very discouraged and ready to give up.

I saw an article posted by Paint-the-moon and that seem to work for one breast but then I lose it with the other breast. I really need to see somone in person as you are all suggesting. This is not good.

I'm sorry you're having nipple pain while nursing and afterwards -- nipple pain is the absolute worst, IMHO. Yes, by all means, find a local LLL Leader or an IBCLC who can evaluate your latch and help you and your baby learn to nurse without pain.

I'm reading from moms with overactive letdown and oversupply issues that often the first feed and the middle-of-the-night sleepy feeds go better than the daytime feeds, so I think your pattern is consistent with this. Also, one way some babies cope with a too-fast milk flow is by clamping down on the nipple to control the flow -- and that is going to hurt, a lot. I don't know if that is what your baby is doing, but it's a guess.

Try unlatching when your letdown starts and see if the milk will flow out quickly and then slow down after a bit. Once it slows down, latch again and see if it goes better. You can also try lying back on pillows or in a recliner, and lay your baby across or along your body, so that the breast is under the baby's mouth. Milk flowing uphill will go more slowly.

It's really against everyone's best interests to grit your teeth and nurse through nipple pain. A good latch may hurt like the dickens for half a minute or so, but it will feel better soon. A bad latch doesn't ever feel better. You need to unlatch and try again. I know it is frustrating and your baby won't be happy, but if you stick with it and just keep patiently trying, your baby will learn to latch and nurse without hurting you. If things get too frustrating and everyone is crying, then take a break, walk around, maybe take a warm bath together to help you both relax. And then try again.

Many, many moms have struggled with similar problems and gone on to nurse their babies happily; you, too, will get through this if you persist and can find accurate information and the right kind of support. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.

--Rebecca

Get either a LLL leader or a lactation consultant to watch you breastfeed. They need to see what you are doing in order to help you. When I was having problems in the beginning, I felt like I was bothering people by asking them to help me. I wish I would have felt like I deserved help. I had problems for a long time. They eventually went away, but I think the first 9 months would have been a lot easier and pleasent if I had had better help. Good luck. And don't give up.

-Lauren

Rebecca and Lauren gave you great input and I'm glad that you are going to try to have someone evaluate you in person and offer one-on-one support after seeing how things are going! That your LO is having good diaper output is a great sign - you can do this and you are probably very close to solving the problems.
    I *totally* agree with Rebecca -- while your nipples are adjusting and healing, etc., a good latch may hurt like crazy for about 30 seconds or so but then will feel fine. And within a few weeks, you WON'T have that 30 seconds of pain, either.
    Hang in there...keep us posted. Good luck!!
    -linda