Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work...not happy

Default Returning to work...not happy

I will be returning to work in about a month when school starts again (I'm a teacher). My DD will be 9 months old then. She hates bottles and gets mad at even the sight of them. She doesn't like the taste of any liquids except for water, which she will drink from a cup. She even makes a sour face for pumped breastmilk. So, I don't plan to pump at work. I would like to just wean her during the day. She is pretty good at eating stage 2 baby food and seems to enjoy it.

I'm feeling very anxious about returning to work and DD getting enough to eat. If she refuses to take formula during the day, will she be getting enough nutrition from jarred food and maybe 3 nursing sessions? I'm thinking she might nurse in the morning, when I pick her up from daycare, and again at bedtime. Hopefully she won't reverse cycle because that will exhaust me, but she probably will.

Anywho, worst case scenario: say she eats 3 jars of food and nurses 3 times a day. Is that enough calories??? She's a peanut as it is and I don't want her to lose weight. I still plan to send formula and lots of baby food to daycare with her, along with a sippy cup of water.

What do you ladies suggest?

Default Re: Returning to work...not happy

I am thinking that won't be enough for her age...

Will she take expressed bm from a cup that has a straw?
    Is the milk you've tried thus far warmed to different temps?

Another thought (im sure you've thought of but I have to ask) Can you take an extended leave?

Here's a resource with info regarding 'partial weaning' & 'combo feeding' info

Here's a link that provides other 'alternative feeding' ideas... there might be something useful there for you - also - have you ever tried a mom-cicle?? (frozen EBM ))
    Last edited by @llli*number3; June 29th, 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree with the PP and have one more question:

Was the breastmilk you offered from frozen?

Thanks number3. I found the information I needed on the link from Kellymom:

"There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need."

Since I will still be able to nurse her 3-4 times a day, she should be okay.
    Cat
    Carissa born 11/3/07

I'm familiar with that But I am thinking that that is in relation to folks looking to give their 1 year old cow's/alternative milks (as discussed more in length here)...THat their child wouldn't need anything additional if the 1 yr old was nursing those amounts/day

I think a baby at the age of 9 mo would need more... Ill see what I can find in my arsenal of links overnight
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.