Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Average Time for Relactation to Start!

Default Average Time for Relactation to Start!

Well I've been pumping for only 2 days now, my nipples are starting to show the ducts, nothing of course is showing up drops wise but looking for some shares as to when was an earliest relactation and some that have had to be way more patient. Needing some encouragement!!
    Pat, wife to "D", mom to "V"(02/93) and "S"/"C" (12/06), owner to kitties Sammy and Simon.

"We do not inherit our land from our forefathers but borrow this land from our children"

Default Re: Average Time for Relactation to Start!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*patricia.girlsmum View Post
    Well I've been pumping for only 2 days now, my nipples are starting to show the ducts, nothing of course is showing up drops wise but looking for some shares as to when was an earliest relactation and some that have had to be way more patient. Needing some encouragement!!
    What type of pump are you using, Pat? How frequently and for how many minutes are you pumping?

I'm sorry that I have no experience or story to share. You're right that patience is essential.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I'm using a Medela Swing 2 phase pump that has the fast light action for 2 mins, then switches to mimic slow steady nursing after let down with adjustable sucking power. I am doing a minimum of 6 pumps daily, extra if I happen to wake up overnight. I'm doing about 15 mins per side with each pump session, so a minimum of 3 hours a day devoted to pumping at a half hour each session. I may be able to do up to 8 a day if it will make a difference but after a half hour of dry pumping I feel like my breasts have had enough, get kind of bruisy feeling if I do more than that. I'm trying to massage the other parts of my breast while pumping to see if I can get total stimulation.

I sure hope that's fairly good???
    Pat, wife to "D", mom to "V"(02/93) and "S"/"C" (12/06), owner to kitties Sammy and Simon.

"We do not inherit our land from our forefathers but borrow this land from our children"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*patricia.girlsmum View Post
    I'm using a Medela Swing 2 phase pump that has the fast light action for 2 mins, then switches to mimic slow steady nursing after let down with adjustable sucking power. I am doing a minimum of 6 pumps daily, extra if I happen to wake up overnight. I'm doing about 15 mins per side with each pump session, so a minimum of 3 hours a day devoted to pumping at a half hour each session. I may be able to do up to 8 a day if it will make a difference but after a half hour of dry pumping I feel like my breasts have had enough, get kind of bruisy feeling if I do more than that. I'm trying to massage the other parts of my breast while pumping to see if I can get total stimulation.

I sure hope that's fairly good???
    It sounds like you are pumping one breast at a time. Will that pump allow you to pump both breasts at the same time? If not, have you considered renting a hospital grade pump that allows you to pump both breasts at once? That would cut your pumping time in half.
    Marianne
    LLL Leader

I couldn't afford to rent a hosp grade pump at an average of $60/month and then the cost of accessories and it would be ongoing as I'm not sure that my girls will latch this time around so I bought the best I could get that is a single use and came highly recommended. I don't mind spending the extra time if it is going to work, really. It's worth it to give my girls the nutrition that I've struggled with since I couldn't produce any longer after 3 months. They are both lactose intolerant and could use the life giving nutrients for sure, they've had digestive issues since birth so it has been a challenge. Another soap box is that to me, they were born too soon thanks to an over-zealous OB who got his paycheck but cared little for the health of my girls.

I just really!! hope that some milk will come soon, and then it has to build etc. so still looking for any encouragement I can get. I'm still studying wherever I can find some info on the subject, anything to make this work. Sound desperate??...........yeah.

I havent seen this question asked in your posts yet - so Ill ask it (lest it be a repeat )

I see one of your concerns is the girls may not latch again - and that is a rightufl concern - so I wonder if you're considering being an exclusive pumper They don't have to latch to be able to get the 'goods' so to speak
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes I did previously post that my girls may not latch this time *either* being as their sucking power was very weak and immature at birth so I was pumping exclusively at birth despite trying a nipple shield to train them to switch from bottle to breast, a public health nurse forcefully manipulating one of my girls to try and put her to my breast, it hurt both me AND whichever twin she *grabbed*(not a pleasant experience).

I have no problem with pumping exclusively this time around really.......it's only a few hours out of my day to pump and give the girls my milk from a bottle or cup. Their sucking power is still immature in that they still use a bottle, they can't suck out of the modern sippy cup with all the anti-leak attachments. In time when they have enough words I can coach them to latch, perhaps as they see mommy pump they'll become curious enough to touch towards latch.

Heading into day 3 of dry pumping, hoping for some results within a few days!! One of the ducts that are visible now has gotta spew some drops at some point??

Having a bad set back today! I'm so weak and tired that I can barely stay awake and the stress at home is not helping. I've had to have my DH do one of my pumps while I was almost passed out in bed. I'm not sleeping well, no appetite now and feel horrible. I think the fenugreek is doing more harm than good. I'm not going the DOM route, too risky with my med sensitivity, maybe I'll try the blessed thistle.

A truly rotten day of setbacks today!

That really stinks you had such a hard time with the fenugreek. My lactation consultant told me to try it too but I'm really skeptical about trying different herbs and things so first I'm going to try lots of water and oatmeal and also rigging up a suplementation system. I'm sending lots of hugs your way. Hopefully things work out soon!