Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: advice for starting solid for 6m old

Default advice for starting solid for 6m old

My little girl is turning 6 month old in a few days. Hoping for some advice here:

1) readiness sign - DD can't sit up by herself yet. Does that mean she is not ready? She has started to stare at me intently when I eat.

2) What is the best food to start? how many times a day, and how much?

3) Should I continue breast feeding as usual, and add solid after the feeding?

Thank you!

Default Re: advice for starting solid for 6m old

Here's an LLL link regarding when to start solids...

And a whole bunch of non-LLL info.

We're just starting out with solids. DD is 6 months old, sitting up unassisted and has started grabbing for our foods. She's also lost the tongue thrust reflex, so we felt like it was time. But we are taking it very slowly because she has a dairy/soy sensitivity so we're on the lookout for other food allergies.

As for the breastfeeding, I've been nursing her about an hour before we try the solids, then offering again right after.

Best of luck!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Maybe you can also consider if you going to baby led or not. That was not the case with my lo. I used to keep him on my lap and we started with apple. Puree apple. Wayne loved banana but it gave him bad constipation so we stopped it for a while. As he was still nursing we started with 1/2 apple a day and gradually increasing the amount. When your baby shows sign that he/she is full - stop. Don't force feed.

I remember reading on this forum that you should nurse and then offer solids. Correct me ladies if i am wrong. That's what we used to do.

I am sure other mamas will come with more good ideas.
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

DD just turned 6 months today and can't sit unsupported yet either and still has the tongue push reflex. She is very interested in the sociality of dinner time though, so we've started giving her whole carrots or large slices of green pepper as she sits in her chair at dinner time. She happily gums away on them without our worrying that she's going to gnaw off any pieces or choke on anything. We figure it won't be too much longer until she's definitely ready for solids, so why not wait a few more weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*stella View Post
    My little girl is turning 6 month old in a few days. Hoping for some advice here:

1) readiness sign - DD can't sit up by herself yet. Does that mean she is not ready? She has started to stare at me intently when I eat.

2) What is the best food to start? how many times a day, and how much?

3) Should I continue breast feeding as usual, and add solid after the feeding?

Thank you!
    There is nothing magical about the 6 month mark. Babies will get to it in their own time. We tried BLS at 6 months and DW couldnt stand the gagging so we switched over to puree. DD started grabbing the spoon and putting it in her mouth almost immediately. She is 8 months today and Im finally getting DW to accept that DD can eat what we eat. I gave her some tofu when we were at a japanese restaurant and some ground beef at a burger joint.

When they say sitting up unassisted I think they mean stay in the sitting position vs. being able to get into the sitting position from laying down.

I figure if we did BLS that was ok and if we pureed that was ok too.