Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this terrible?

Default Re: Is this terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lionsheart View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but how do you keep a baby from choking on "chunks" of banana or avocado? etc. I have a 5 month old who will be ready to start experimenting soon.
    This Site explains it very well There's even a setion called "wont he choke?"
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

When DD was ready she stopped gagging. I did what some of the ladies on this forum suggested...try it, if she isn't ready (gagging) then wait a week or so. Now she has eaten chunks of bananas, avacados, steamed carrots and sweet potatoes. We are having grilled vegggies and chicken tonight which I will offer. She loves to self feed. (bananas naturally split into the perfect size for her when you press down in the middle-makes thirds)..HTH
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

i I read it is recommended to wait till 6 months, my son is 22 weeks, should you count by weeks or to the day for instance in two weeks hell technically be 6 months or 24 weeks, but he wont b till the day till July 30th...or should you go by baby, hes sitting un supported, tries to pull my food off the table as I eat, stares at you while you eat, and seems very interested, what do you ladies think???
    for five months now mommy of two, married to the love of my life.

That's great! My daughter also refused most "baby food" but would try to grab our food and eat it. If you are concerned about the pieces, you can take a serrated knife and scrape it into chicken "powder" - just really small pieces that he can eat in pinches with his fingers. You can grate carrots too and he might try that.

I read somewhere that anthroplogist's think prehistoric people used to feed their babies solids by chewing the food first and offering it directly from their mouth to the baby's mouth. There is some speculation that this is how kissing developed. If this is true it sounds more like pureed food to me. I really have no idea what is the right way. My daughter is only 5 months but she is showing so many signs of wanting to try solids. (My son was the same way.) I know 6 months is what is recommended but I also know some babies take longer so I would think some babies are ready earlier. My DD actually gets mad and screams sometimes when she see's someone eating. She lunges for food and grabs. I experimented and gave her a little bit of mashed banana mixed with breastmilk, and pardon the expression, she went bananas! I am going to give her a taste of sweet potato next week. I like the idea of giving them bigger chunks but then again in my DD's case I am still worried about choking. I'm not sure what the point of this rambling post is. Just me overthinking things again.

I want to add to this thread that current research is indicating that cereal might not be the best "first" food. I have read that in several different places.

http://www.askdrsears.com/
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp

dr sears has some great info on starting solids on his web site.

with my last two babies we skiped the spoon and let them self feed.
    Its alot less work then feeding them.

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html

heres a link about picking cereal

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040700.asp

5. Choose nutritious infant cereals. In selecting cereal for your baby, use criteria similar to those you use in choosing cereal for yourself. What are the main nutrients you want your baby to get from this cereal? Try these shopping tips:

Protein: at least one gram per serving
    Iron: at least three milligrams per serving. Remember, after infants and toddlers are weaned from breast milk or formula, cereals may supply around half of an infant's daily requirement for iron, which averages around six to ten milligrams a day. Infant cereals generally contain more iron per serving than adult cereals since they are enriched with iron.

this is a great link aslo
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

starting solids