Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this terrible?

Default Is this terrible?

We have been trying to get my DS to try some solids now that he is 7mo. We've tried all the usual suspects i.e. cereals, banana, avocado etc. Nothing will go in his mouth-he refuses a spoon. But he nurses constantly, has been pulling all nighters and seems hungry for more.

The other night my DH roasted a chicken and while eating it my DS was franticly trying to get at it. I put a teeny bit of white meat in his mouth and he he was even more frantic to have more. He just gummed it right up without so much as a little cough. No choking.

What does this mean? He is EBF and I am a sahm. He's my 3rd child and the other two did the traditional puree thing just fine.

Is it time for me to try a new approach with this one?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Default Re: Is this terrible?

It means hes beyond spoons and wants to feed himself. Finger foods are great first foods. Did you try bananas, avocados, etc in french fry size pieces? You may find he accepts them more readily when he can choose what goes into his mouth. We really liked steamed sweet potato as a first food. And fresh mango was another one we started with.

You'll find that a lot of Mamas here started with what is called Baby Led Solids (sometimes referred to as Baby Led Weaning) and its about skipping the purees and offering pieces of food and allowing your child to feed himself.

Some say its harder than just opening a jar of babyfood. But I found it easier, because he just ate what we were having for dinner. No special meals.

We used the baby-led solids (BLS) approach mentioned above. There was no other option- DD would NOT take food off a spoon. Soft boiled chicken from a soup was actually one of her first foods.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As the previous mom's have mentioned letting your LO feed himself is nothing bad!! Since it's what your LO seems to prefer makes it even better!

Some babies have a real need, to just feed themselves. Often they will refuse a spoon, or someone trying to feed them. Offer him things he can pick up and eat on his own and see where he takes you!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Many people use meat such as chicken or turkey as a first food. Just make sure it's cooked properly and let your LO enjoy. Congrats!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you everyone!
    I just figured that somehow chicken was a terrible first food. Especially with all the literature around that says babies need to start with cereal first then veggies etc.
    I will look up more on Baby Led Weaning. I've heard it mentioned on this forum but never really knew anything about it.
    So, chicken isn't too hard on his system? He didn't have a problem with output.
    What else can I offer him?
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

nope chicken has lots of iron

nothing wrong with starting with meats.
    do you have food allergies in your family?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jen.kalt View Post
    What else can I offer him?
    the list is endless...chunks of banana, avocado, steamed sweet/white potato, rice, toast, peas, corn, turkey, chicken, steamed broccoli, peaches, plums, apples, steamed carrots....and on and on and on....
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Forgive my ignorance but how do you keep a baby from choking on "chunks" of banana or avocado? etc. I have a 5 month old who will be ready to start experimenting soon.

Thank you lionheart for that question: How do you keep them from choking on chunks of food?

The only thing that I can think of is that they don't choke if they are ready to chew, would that be correct? I only say this because I was amazed at how my DS just chewed up and swallowed the chicken bits I gave him.

We don't have any food allergies, thankfully, on either sides of our families.

I'm going to start trying this today with bananas and avocado!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF