Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extreme Heat and Breastfeeding

Default Extreme Heat and Breastfeeding

Hi! I live in the Midwest and the temperatures have exceeded 100 degrees. What, if any, affects could this heat have on my baby? Is my breast milk affected at all if I am out in the heat? My daughter has been very fussy and eating less the past two days. Yesterday she spit up what looked like curdled breastmilk... Any helpful advice?

~Jenni

Default Re: Extreme Heat and Breastfeeding

Someone else might be better at explaining this but I'll try. Your milk will adapt to the weather, if is hot outside you'll produce more foremilk (the watery part) and if it's the other way around you will produce more hindmilk (the fatty part). My advise would be to make sure you nurse your baby frequently especially when you're out in the heat, and to keep her dress with light clothing, if you can have her in just diapers and maybe a thin t-shirt better, and avoid staying to long on the heat and for yourself stay very hydrated.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are breastfeeding in hot weather, try to feed your baby more often. Also keep yourself hydrated as Mami_Kathy said by having plenty of fluids yourself including a cool drink at every feed.

Baby can get all the liquids needed via breastmilk. Studies have shown that an exclusively breastfed baby does not need extra water.

Mami_Kathy .. where did you hear the info about milk changing in hot weather? Interesting. I know that we only actually produce "one milk," and the difference in hind/foremilk is the fat content ... and I thought that the fat content of the milk just depends on the degree of emptiness of the breast. I would think that in hot weather our breasts might produce less milk due to a lower hydration level, and therefore the milk would actually be a higher fat (more like hindmilk)? Am I confused??

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Mami_Kathy .. where did you hear the info about milk changing in hot weather? Interesting. I know that we only actually produce "one milk," and the difference in hind/foremilk is the fat content ... and I thought that the fat content of the milk just depends on the degree of emptiness of the breast. I would think that in hot weather our breasts might produce less milk due to a lower hydration level, and therefore the milk would actually be a higher fat (more like hindmilk)? Am I confused??
    In one thread in here a mom was wondering as why the ring of fat was wide sometimes and thin in other, and someone post what I just wrote and it kind of make sense. It's been reposted when the subject comes up, I PM her and asked it where she got that info and she told a LC told her (I think), whenever she find the info she will email it to me. I guess I will start looking for it, because I think is something very interesting to know, BM is indeed an amazing stuff! If I find something else I'll post it and let you know.

Thanks!

Yes, it's so amazing that our bodies create this miracle liquid gold!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hi there!

The Breastfeeding Answer Book (1997 ed., page 26) says:

"Even in hot weather, bottles of water are unnecessary. Studies of babies living in hot, humid climates and hot, dry climates found that exclusive breastfeeding met the infant's need for fluids (Brown 1986; Goldberg 1983)."

Don't worry about the curdled milk either. The acid in the baby's stomach curdles the milk as part of the digestion process!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!