Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: support at 11 months

Default support at 11 months

I'm still nursing my almost 11 month old. I'm also on my 3rd case of mastitis. I'm getting a lot of comments from people 'surprised' that I am still nursing. "Hasn't it been a year?" "Why don't you just wean him already?" He also still gets up at night to nurse which brings comments as well. "You have to be strong and just let him cry." Are there other 11 month olds getting up at night? It's hard not to feel pressured. Thanks for listening.

Default Re: support at 11 months

It's really hard at this stage, I don't know why people have to make us feel like we are doing something wrong. Your not!

If you go to the Beyond One board there is a sticky I believe about dealing with criticism - also also here is a good article http://www.kellymom.com/bf/criticism.html

And let me tell you a secret EVERYONE wakes at night. Even adults - every single night. Don't remember? That's because your good at getting yourself right back to sleep. It's a milestone, and it's not something I feel you can force upon a child. You can help them sure, but not "make" them.

I eventually stopped telling people he woke at night to nurse, they asked how he sleeps and I say fine!! That's cause he does He wakes to nurse and goes right back to sleep - and that works for us. So IMO there isn't anything wrong for them to help me fix.

It may not work for you but I prefer the sarcastic/humor approach to questions like this. For instance, when are you going to get him off of the boob? I say well.. he'll be done in about 30 seconds I'm betting. Or I don't know I was thinking I might just dorm with him in college.

mama

Thanks bunny. These were actually comments from other mothers with small children who breastfed as well, just not as long. So I took their opinions a little hard.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heather.heather View Post
    Thanks bunny. These were actually comments from other mothers with small children who breastfed as well, just not as long. So I took their opinions a little hard.
    Be their inspiration to nurse longer next time around! I also got a fair number of "You're still nursing?" type comments from other moms, especially when my DD was well over a year. I was open about what I was doing, and tried my best to seem proud of myself. Recently, I talked to a mommy I know who breastfed her first two kids for less than a year each. She's expecting her third and, from the questions she was asking me, I got the feeling that she was considering going longer this last time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO will be 10 months next week and she still gets up to nurse at night...several times, in fact.
    Sarah, mom of :
    Allie Shannon-8-31-07--7lbs. 1 oz

I find it ironic that they market a formula for toddlers now (in fact I received a free sample in my mailbox!!! ) but it is not acceptable to people that a toddler is breastfed. I think the first thing you can tell people is that the world health organization recommends breastfeeding until AT LEAST 2 years of age. recently I was tickled that an aquaintance who doesn't necessarily know my parenting intentions said to me "you know, you don't HAVE to wean him at 1 year" when it came up in conversation that I am still nursing my son.

My son just turned 11 months old and has only within the past couple of weeks started not nursing in the night. We cosleep and I have not at all pushed the issue, if he wakes I nurse him. I do give him a pacifier, so sometimes if he gets wiggly I'll give him his paci. If he keeps wiggling, I know I need to nurse him. if he stops wiggling, then I go back to sleep. I have read many accounts on this forum of women whose toddlers wake to nurse in the night. I guess I think every baby has to reach that milestone in his own time. And I especially agree with what Bunny said - I know I wake at night because I always have to get up to pee!!! To be totally truthful, many mornings i wake and I'm not sure if he nursed in the night or not. Sometimes the only evidence I have is that I'll look down and my boob is hanging out of my nursing bra!!!

ETA: I also agree with what Bunny said about her response when people ask her how does he sleep? I also say "fine" and leave it at that. Beyond that is none of their business! I often say "oh, he's a good sleeper". You know, something that doesn't really mean anything

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my dd is 5 and she's weaned and she still gets up some nights..

do you need info on mastitis?
    sometimes rest is just all you need to feal much beter.

DD just turned 11 mos on Saturday. She's never STTN. For the past 3 weeks it's been 3x's a night, then just the past two days down to 2x's a night (her 8th tooth finally broke through). So you are in good company.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

My dd will be 1 in less than 2 weeks and she still wakes up at night to nurse. I understand how frustrating the questions are, in fact I had to vent a little before also! I have got to where when people (especially those who formula fed) ask me why I am still nursing and always offer their unwanted advice, I ask them how long they used formula. When they tell me for a year or longer I say to them that is why Lilly is still getting breastmilk. If I am able to still breast feed and have enough for her & love the bonding - why should I quit just to spend money on something that isn't as good for her!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing