Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breasts are too large

Default Breasts are too large

Hi everyone, I recently joined this site in hopes to get some ideas on breastfeeding with extremely large breasts (double F cup). I have a one month old son and he has never latched on and cries bloody murder when I try to get him to latch on. When I gave birth to him several of the nurses at the hospital tried to help me to get him latched on and he would have none of it, so I fed him through a dropper for the first couple of days. When my son continued to refuse the breast I started pumping and bottle feeding him which has been going pretty good. However, I am returning to work and I'm not sure how much longer I can keep pumping exclusively without it affecting my milk supply, which right now I'm pumping about 25 to 30 ozs a day. I continue to try my son to see if he will take to the breast but he just cries and screams. There doesn't seem to by any position that is comfortable or feels like my breasts aren't smothering him, so I'm frustrated and he is too. It's like I need six hands just to be able to breastfeed. If there is anyone out there who has experienced the same problem please tell me how you were able to comfortably breastfeed your baby. I tried to breastfeed my first son and the same problem occured and I relented and gave up but I'm more determined this time to try to make it work.

Default Re: Breasts are too large

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I have large breast too, 36 G. I know it can be hard. I just always try to hold the breast with one hand & don't let it get on his face. My cousin has small breasts & she never had trouble. I think the large boobs is what makes it hard to latch properly. My lo had a horrible time for about a month learning how to latch on good. Good luck to you ! I don't really have any helpful advice, I'm sorry !
    Jennifer, 1st time mom to Noah. Born August 27,07 by c-section after 12 hours of labor.

Check out my website
    www.myspagirlparties.com/jennifermorris

I don't have much advice for you.. but hang in there and don't give up... maybe you can call a Lactation coucelor in your area and they can come and help too!! they may have some great advice.. I know what help my Sister in law she is little developed whiel nursing is to only nurse in the football hold so she can hold her boob in one hand...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I hope this is ok to ask, but I have fairly large breasts too, and don't have issues so I'm just trying to help you narrow things down. Anyway, did you have any sort of breast augmentation? Where things might be firmer than average? the reason I ask is that I'm normally about an F cup right after giving birth, and the only time I ever had probs with latch were when I was extremely engorged..so much so that there was little tissue to get a latch on That was after my milk came in for the first time with little George though, so a few days after he was born. Prior to that, he could latch fine, and with pumping a bit b4hand, I was able to get him to latch again in the midst of the engorgement also.

In order to get a good latch, in the beginning, I used a pillow to rest baby on on my lap, I would hold baby in the crook of my arm with his ear against my arm resting on it and my arm holding his head, and help him latch onto that same breast while holding that breast up with my other hand, fingers underneath, and thumb on top so my breast didn't squish him. You can also use a rolled up receiving blanket, or a rolled up sock to hold up the breast if you need your other hand free.

Just thinking about your sitch though, if you haven't had augmentation, aren't engorged, but yet neither of your babes ever latched on, then I'm wondering if your babes are maybe tongue tied...maybe not enough to notice when you look at them, but enough so they can't latch? It seems odd that even with big breasts, that you'd never get a latch if one of those other 2 issues weren't present. I know that it is possible for tongue tie to happen genetically, and an aquaintence of mine's children are all tongue tied, all 5 of them. If you find out it is that, it can be corrected, and its supposedly no big deal at all.

Another suggestion might be to try pumping a minute or 2 and then trying to latch baby on. If some milk is removed, maybe it will be easier for baby to latch.

Thank you all for responding to my post.

Frannie, no my boobs have always been big and of course with having a baby they've gotten bigger so they don't resemble perky balloons like the fake ones do but more like sagging watermelons. All of the books and articles I've read give advice with the assumption that the breasts are up and high instead of sagging low so I haven't really had much success with following the normal tactics.

I've heard people use the term "tongue tied" but I'm not sure I know how to identify it if he is. When my son first took the bottle we were using playtex nipples and he would constantly push the nipple out of his mouth while he was trying to drink. We switched to the Avent nipples and he doesn't have that problem now. I'm not really sure what he does at the breast because he won't even take the nipple at all. Now that he's used to the artificial nipple he won't open his mouth wide enough to breastfeed. I've tried a breast shield and he will attempt to latch with it but I find it hard to try to hold on to the shield, my son, and to keep my breast from smothering him all at the same time.

It's pretty frustrating but I'll keep pumping and giving him breastmilk for as long as I can. I'll definitely try to contact a LC in my area. Thanks again.

I have large breasts too (like 34 F-G depending on the day!) and I wouldn't be able to live without a nursing pillow! My daughter was 4lbs 7oz when born, I swear one breast was bigger than her. No we're both pros (though I still use the pillow almost all of the time), but it was VERY difficult at first. Also, we used the breastflow brand bottles, because the baby must drink (and open wide) the same we he/she does for breastfeeding. I'm sure there are other bottles out there that work too but I LOVE this one.

Also, check Dr. Jack Newman's website (www.thebirthden.com I think) for videos and information. I've noticed that he often uses large breasted women in his demontrations.
    new mom to yael justine, born 12/20/07 4lbs 7oz

cloth diapers all the way!

I wrote a book an dsome how lost it.

You might find if you roll up a small blanket or cloth diapar that would help support the breast. and get the nipple pointed in the right dirrection for baby.

this might help

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMayJun89p35.html

you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momto2 View Post
    Thank you all for responding to my post.

Frannie, no my boobs have always been big and of course with having a baby they've gotten bigger so they don't resemble perky balloons like the fake ones do but more like sagging watermelons. All of the books and articles I've read give advice with the assumption that the breasts are up and high instead of sagging low so I haven't really had much success with following the normal tactics.

I've heard people use the term "tongue tied" but I'm not sure I know how to identify it if he is. When my son first took the bottle we were using playtex nipples and he would constantly push the nipple out of his mouth while he was trying to drink. We switched to the Avent nipples and he doesn't have that problem now. I'm not really sure what he does at the breast because he won't even take the nipple at all. Now that he's used to the artificial nipple he won't open his mouth wide enough to breastfeed. I've tried a breast shield and he will attempt to latch with it but I find it hard to try to hold on to the shield, my son, and to keep my breast from smothering him all at the same time.

It's pretty frustrating but I'll keep pumping and giving him breastmilk for as long as I can. I'll definitely try to contact a LC in my area. Thanks again.
    LLL has a resouce here: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAprMay02p27.html That talks about tongue tie and breastfeeding, and if you google it, you can get even more info and see pics that shows what it looks like.

Try andrea's suggestion and use a rolled up towel or something to help support your breast, and/or use your hand to hold your breast (like a C) gently to help baby get a latch on a bit better. Any pillow, will help hold a little baby up high enough too, it doesn't have to be a nursing pillow. Try experimenting with different pillows around your house to find something that will help.

What worked for me was my boppy, and the football hold. Daddy was the best at positioning LO just right to get him to nurse. I had to use a nipple shield for awhile too, but it REALLY helped. Eventually he weaned off of the shield, but it was a life saver at first for getting him to latch. I also had to hold my breast with the one that wasn't holding LO. Good luck!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*