Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: alcohol and bf

Default alcohol and bf

So I read in a book that you should wait 2 hours after your last drink to pump or nurse. Is this true? Or should you pump at the right feeding time (while you're drinking or before the 2 hr mark) and then just dump it?

I had a couple drinks last night, waited 2 hours after the last one and then pumped and stored for a feeding today. I skipped a feeding in the middle and just fed my LO stored breast milk. I just want clarification on this from others since that was all that was said in my book.

What do you do?

Default Re: alcohol and bf

I heard you are supposed to pump & dump for 24 hours. I still wouldn't take the chance.
    Jennifer, 1st time mom to Noah. Born August 27,07 by c-section after 12 hours of labor.

Check out my website
    www.myspagirlparties.com/jennifermorris

Default Re: alcohol and bf

La Leche League's THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK (pp. 597-598) says:

Alcohol passes freely into mother's milk and has been found to peak about 30 to 60 minutes after consumption, 60 to 90 minutes when taken with food. Alcohol also freely passes out of a mother's milk and her system. It takes a 120 pound woman about two to three hours to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine...the more alcohol that is consumed, the longer it takes for it to be eliminated. It takes up to 13 hours for a 120 pound woman to eliminate the alcohol from one high-alcohol drink. The effects of alcohol on the breastfeeding baby are directly related to the amount the mother consumes.

There's lots more info at this site. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html In general, it is considered safe to breastfeed while you are consuming the first drink, as it's not yet in the mother's system, and again later once the mother no longer feels the effects of the alcohol. This time frame is dependent on how much the mother weighs, how her body processes alcohol, and how much was consumed, so there is no exact number we can give you.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!