Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 yr old won't eat table food

Default 1 yr old won't eat table food

DD will be the big 1 in a couple of days and I have been trying to introduce her to table foods for a while now. She just will not eat, she gags or just spits it out. The only foods I can get her to eat are...
    Whole Grain puffs / Rice crisps (no cheerios)
    Gerber Graduate fruit (no on the veggies)
    applesauce
    pudding
    cheese
    bread - sometimes
    I have tried small pastas, boiled chicken, steamed veggies...I don't know what else...but she spits it out. Tonight I tried to give her some table food and she spit it out and was unhappy until I gave her pureed baby food. She is almost 1 and I feel terrible that she is still eating purees. When we go out, I feel like people are thinking I'm a bad mom because I'm not feeding my baby what she needs. Is there anything I can do to help?? PLEASE and THANKS!!
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn

Default Re: 1 yr old won't eat table food

she's little yet!
    she'll get it.
    IF you keep trying.

Does she self feed at all?

Don't feel bad!!! It sounds like you are your baby are doing just fine. According to my pediatrician, breastmilk (or formula) provides your LO with sufficient nutrition until they turn one. Until that point, solids are only necessary for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. After one year, solids become an increasingly important part of your child's diet, but the transition from needing only momma's milk to a majority-solids diet is a gradual one, so don't be alarmed if your child's solid food intake is small.

That being said, it sounds like your baby might have an issue with textures. Perhaps the reason she is objecting to table food is that she likes her food to have a smooth consistency? I would just continue on with the purees, but start adding chewable chunks to them so that your baby gets used to a different texture. A little bit of diced pasta in her purees might be a good place to start.

If you aren't doing this already, you might also want to give your LO a variety of soft finger foods and table foods on her tray while you are eating. Watching you move food from your plate into your mouth might inspire her to try doing the same thing. Be prepared for waste and a mess, though! We still have splatters on the wall...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Maybe you could fool her into eating table food? Could you try mashing table food and see if she'll try that?

Or how about mixing pureed baby food with some mashed table food for extra texture? for instance, if she likes pureed bananas, mash a banana and mix the 2 together. Or if she likes the little pureed meals, mash up some soft cooked table food veggies and add some in. Try using complimentary foods, and slowly add more table food and less puree until she's only eating the table food mashed, then move towards more and more texture with the table food.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    That being said, it sounds like your baby might have an issue with textures. Perhaps the reason she is objecting to table food is that she likes her food to have a smooth consistency? I would just continue on with the purees, but start adding chewable chunks to them so that your baby gets used to a different texture. A little bit of diced pasta in her purees might be a good place to start.
    I know it's textures, she won't eat the stage 3 foods, because of the little chunks in there. DH says she's just like her momma, a picky eater, I even have a thing with textures. Guess I never thought of that being genetic.
    I am in love with my family.
    I'm Christi wife to Nick of 6 years &
    mommy to my precious little girls Katelin and Madilynn

Did you mention it to your pedi at the 1 YO checkup?

Keep offering the finger foods, and experiment around a bit to see how she might end up taking them. Try and sneak some into the puree gradually. Perhaps a little chunk of apple in the applesauce, etc.

We're having similar problems too! My LO is 13 months.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Don't worry, sounds like you are doing just fine!

I just want you to know you're not alone. My LO is almost 15 mo and it's still a struggle to get him to eat. He knows how to eat, it's just when he finds something he doesn't like he usually gags or just simply throws the food! LO still loves his baby oatmeal and he loves yogurt, so I work with what I've got. I slowly have been adding pureed veggies with his oatmeal, I'm now up to about 2 oz of veggies! He has oatmeal for breakfast. I also do the same thing with his yogurt for lunch only I add fruit. Then at dinner I let him experiment with the food. He's just starting to eat more at dinnertime! I also try to let him experiment for snacks. If worst comes to worst, and he is refusing to eat, I just give him his favorite, pureed sweet potatoes! Just keep plugging at it and your LO will be just fine!

Could your LO be teething? My guy is working on his molars (has been for a few months now!) and is sometimes very uncomfortable. I think that's why he prefers softer food, he never has been one to chew a lot when teething. HTH!
    Last edited by @llli*hh13; June 28th, 2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo