Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is this supposed to add up/work?? At wit's end!!

Unhappy How is this supposed to add up/work?? At wit's end!!

These are the facts:

DS needs 16-32 oz of milk daily (he averages about 20)

I am currently exclusively pumping every 2 hours and producing a grand total of: 6 to 8 ounces a day. Can anyone tell me how this is supposed to be enough for him???

I am supplementing with formula while I wait for something magical to happen, i.e. the milk fairy comes and makes me instantly able to produce more milk.

is this going to happen? I don't think pumping every 2 hours is going to be in any way practical going forward, as in, when it's time to go back to work. And frankly, if pumping 8-9 times a day is only producing enough for 2 bottles ... then ... what??

I'm at a total loss here and desperately need guidance/help/advice ...

Default Re: How is this supposed to add up/work?? At wit's end!!

How old is your DS? Is he nursing at all? How long have you been pumping? What kind of pump are you using?
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

yup how old is baby?

This link might help.
    ITs about pumping when baby cann't nurse at all...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

contact your local leader she can help more.

this might help also:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

DS is 11 days old. I started BF-ing exclusively but my milk came in late (and not too much when it did) and he was showing signs of not getting enough to eat, so hubby & mom convinced me to start supplementing with formula. Predictably DS didn't like the breast so much anymore after tasting the bottle, so I started pumping so he'd get some of my milk, some breastmilk is better than none, right?

My original plan was to BF exclusively for 6 weeks then start pumping when I returned to work (and continue to feed him breastmilk only for 6 months) so I had the pump ready to go. I am using a Medela Pump In Style Advanced and pumping for 15 minutes every two hours.

awe baby is very young yet!
    Heres a link with some hints to get baby back to the breast.
    Healthy baby is beter at removing milk then pump.

You can do it.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

Keep up the pumping. Even if baby is only getting some of his nutrition from breastmilk, it's still better than none.

How would you feel about nursing baby whenever he seems hungry, then topping off with supplements? That way, there's less pumping for you to do.

Are you on any medications? How was your birth? Do you have any medical issues? Any of these things can impact your milk supply.

Another option is to provide the supplements at the breast, instead of in a bottle. You can use a Supplemental Nursing System or a Lact-Aid, or make one yourself. When using this, the entire feed is done at the breast, so that as baby suckles, your breasts are stimulated to make more milk.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Hi Mama,

It's tough. With perserverence you could push through it and get your supply up but it will be a lot of work. Are you up for it? If you are, there are plenty of success stories throughout the boards who will cheer you on and help as we can.

Getting milk supply (and keeping it) is all about supply and demand. So, if you want more - you have to empty the breasts more. Empty may take more than 15 min. So if you pump, pump more often and perhaps for a bit longer as well. Newborns can nurse as frequently as every hour... from start to start of a feeding - that's the catch. So for example, mine nursed for 30-40 min then I'd maybe get a 20-30 min break if that and be back at it again. This was exhausting but we did it. We made time for nursing and it worked for us.

However, I did not exclusively pump. My SIL did with her first and it was rough, 3 times as much work for her, she said - because she had to pump and then she'd have to feed with the bottle, clean that up, pump again. So... if you can try to get baby back to the breast that will be the easiest in the long run - harder at first to get the latch, etc. but the extra time here would save you a lot more later on if you can get help. (SIL si feeding her 2nd direct and she is having no issues and wishes she had spent more time to help the 1st with latch). She pumped nearly every hour for the first few weeks with a hospital grade pump (rental). The PIS or PISA is great for if you already have an established milk supply (like if you have to return to work when your baby is a few weeks older) but the hospital grade pumps are best if you are trying to build your supply. So, if you decide pump only then look into a rental and pump more.

If you can get baby back to the breast and feed often and then feed some more... you can build your supply. Then every few weeks or so (more in the beginning) baby will go through a growth suprt where it seems they are nursing nonstop. Some moms think this is a problem with supply. It is not a problem, it is your baby and your body trying to work together to boost your supply even more to meet baby's needs.

Have you tried to contact a LLL leader in your area to help? Really, they like to and want to help and they are just a phone call away. OR - please post here with any other questions you have.

All the best, and congratualate yourself on what you have accomplished so far... 6-8 is a respectable amount for a newbie. Keep up the good work and pump (or feed) lots and lots and then some.

Here is my situation...
    My milk didn't come in for a little while either. I continued to nurse and nursed exclusively until returning to work 12 weeks pp and started pumping at work. I had only pumped in the mornings prior to this. THen, DD discovered she LOVED the bottle - so, I started pumping in the morning instead of her nursing and in the afternoon instead of her nursing. Then it turned to pumping at night as well before I went to bed. Now, I have been exclusively pumping for the past almost 6 months. It does take its toll and gets old but as you said as long as she is getting BM, that is what matters! You can do it...it just takes perseverence (sp?) and remembering WHY you are doing it. Try to get baby back to breast right now and then when you return to work and you have to pump do it. I pump every 3 hours for 15 min. each time and it works for us. I have plenty of milk and have a stash that I donate as well. It just takes time for your supply to build up with a baby or with the pump. If you ahve to pump now b/c baby won't BF then do as pp said and pump every hour-two hours for 20 or so min. so your body will sense it needs to make more milk. Either way, You CAN do it. Good luck. Any other questions, don't hesitate to PM.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

You sound worried, frustrated, and exhausted. I understand. It's very difficult to want to provide breastmilk exclusively and not have your body cooperate. I was in your same situation re breast and bottle preference after supplementing for jaundice and low supply. This is what my LC told me to do:

-Pump every three hours for 20 minutes around the clock, even at night. (You need rest, so every two hours is just too much.)
    -Take fenugreek, three capsules three times a day (610mg capsules).
    -Drink lots of water, eat well, and rest.
    -Talk to your OB about a prescription for Reglan (metoclopramide) or domperidone. -The second one isn't approved by FDA for lactation issues but is approved by the pediatricians association. Your OB may not prescribe it for you. It is available on line from oversees (New Zealand) without a prescription, and it seems a lot of women get it from there. The LC recommended it but Reglan worked for me.

Doing this I was able to increase my production from a few ounces per day to currently 28oz (averaging 4oz per session, 7x per day). It took a week to see a real change to a couple ounces and a few weeks to see a change to the four ounces per session.

Hang in there and good luck! I hope you see some success soon!!!
    Fran
    Mom to Anna, March 28, 2008

Thanks so much for your responses and support. I have been having a hard time reconciling the advice to pump every 2 hours and also get enough rest and food. Since feeding takes an hour, pumping every 2 is pretty much impossible. So I am trying to pump every 2-3 hours, and not beat myself up if I have to go a little longer ... stress was not helping build my supply.

So far I have been pumping enough milk so that DS gets BM all day and formula at night. I am happy with this ratio so far but am hoping to produce a little more milk for when he starts asking for more at each feeding.

Also, tried to latch him on and he did, but it was a bad latch (as in, painful!) so I'm still very unsure about getting him back on the breast

I am waiting for my fenugreek to arrive, hopefully that gives me a well-needed boost

My next goal: make it to 4 weeks! Gotta keep keepin' on ...
    FTM to Dante
    Birthday: June 15 2008 (Father's Day!)
    Birth Time: Crack of Noon
    Birth Weight: 8 lbs 4 oz