Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diaper Rash and food allergies

Default Diaper Rash and food allergies

My 5 month old lo has been getting a diaper rash on and off for the past month. At first I thought it might have been a reaction from the diapers but because it comes and goes i don't think that's it. I was wondering how common it was for diaper rash to be a sign of a food allergy. He is only on breastmilk at this point but what are the chances that he has an allergy to something that I am eating. And how do I figure it out? Thanks!!

Default Re: Diaper Rash and food allergies

I think allergies related to food (via mother's milk, in your case) are apparent not so much as a diaper rash, but more specifically as a red, aggravated ring around the anus. I would also think it wouldn't be so localised in the diaper area but appear on other parts of the body. A friend of mine has a baby with both allergies and hyper sensitivity to various foods that he was getting through her milk when she was exclusively BFing and then later when he started solids. He did an allergy test which confirmed it and also the offending foods, though I don't know what that entailed- I think it was a blood test. He presented with exzema that started as a small rash on his face and slowly spread throughout his body and it was (still is at 15 months) very severe.

If you have any doubts though, I would get in touch with your ped.

BTW, breast milk squirted onto the area is very helpful for diaper rash. I also used balsam oil and the rash would go away in a day or two and tried to keep my ds out of his diaper for 1/2 hour or so to air him out.

Mimi's mum DS #1(19/2/07) DS #2 (21/11/08)

I think it would be worth keeping a food journal to see if anything corresponds. It's very possible that something your little one reacts to is making his poos more acidic and that's causing a rash. If it were me (and we're also in the process of food reaction research), I would start taking note of the foods I eat and baby's reactions, and see what associations I could make.

What does the rash look like and where does he get it, specifically? General diaper area, just where poo touched, just around the anus, spreading outside the diaper?

does it look like a yeast rash?
    you can see one here:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

sometimes that takes special cream to cure.

It definitely isn't yeast. My doctor saw it the first time it broke out and we ruled that out. The rash is inside his diaper but actually it is worse where the diaper touches his legs. That's the part that I can't get to clear up. I've been using Aquifor and that helps inside the diaper but the outside is more stubborn.

I doubt its something you are eating. My dd had diaper rash on and off for a bit when she was a baby... We just did more naked time and instead of wiping her bottom when it was raw we would just sit her in the sink and splash her clean and blow dry her butt with the hair dryer on cool.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Cotton balls and water rather than diaper wipes help. I agree with the kmama, more time outside the diaper gives more time for skin to dry. If you are using disposables, those things trap in any moisture...as will diaper rash ointment, if you put it on before baby's butt is dry.

Our ped had us do something to help get a semi-bad rash under control which worked wonders. Put on some Lotramin AF (not important if you don't think it's yeast), wait five minutes, put on .5% cortisone cream, wait 5 minutes, put on lots of diaper rash ointment and done. The cortisone really helped clear up diaper irritation, but it did take longer for dry patches on the legs to go away. Only do this 3 times a day, though. The waiting is really key, since it is more air time for baby.

Also, I noticed the ebbs and flows for my baby's rashes had to do with how often she was pooping. More poops=more irritation. So when she hardly poops, her bottom clears up.
    Last edited by @llli*lidarose.llli; June 28th, 2008 at 07:18 AM.