Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could this be Thrush?

Default Could this be Thrush?

I just left the Ob and was diagnosed with a yeast infection. A few days after noticing symptoms my LO started to scream every time I tried to BF her. She would suck once or twice and then turn her head and pull off screaming and then frantically latch back on, no sooner to pull of again and do the same thing until I just stop and hold her until I can get her close to sleep and then nurse her. She nurses great while half asleep. She is also nursing good at night, not great like before, but its not as bad as the daytime feedings. Please help I have been in tears all day right along with her. I just got off the phone with my LLL and she said that it sounded like thrush, even before I told her I have a yeast infection. The only thing is my nipples are not sore, my Lo doesn't have white spots in her mouth, and no diaper rash???? I just called my ped and they are seeing us in about an hour, but said they don't treat unless they know its thrush. Any ideas?
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: Could this be Thrush?

My Pedi thinks so. She has a white film on her tongue that doesn't wipe off. And she said the way she is acting sounds like thrush. However, I don't have any symptoms on my breasts and have a yeast infection (which seems really mild). My Lo was perscribed Nystain. She said to give her 6cc in her cheek today and I think 3 every day after up to four days. Isn't treatment suppose to last for 1 to 2 weeks??? I will prob have enough nystatin if don't waste any. Does that sound right, just wondering how everyone else treats it and if you have any tips. I am tying to be really careful about using paper towels and washing all clothes and nursing bra's after one use. I use cloth dipes..no yeast rash yet, but should I add anything to the wash load??? I was perscribed diflucan and a monistat 1 day treatment. My pedi also told me to pick up Lotrimin or Lamisil. My DH got me Lamisil. Athletes foot cream to but on my breasts...a little nervous at first about that one. She told me to wipe them off before feeding b/c it prob won't taste good...we are already fussy at the breast and it states directly on the package not to get near the mouth!! Is wiping off good enough? Should I wash before I feed? I asked why I didn't get nystatin too, and she said this works better. Any thoughts??

Oh, and I am also going to take acidophilus capsules. I heard that you can open a capsul and use your wet pinky to give some to the baby. Has anyone done this?? I wasn't sure if it was safe.
    Last edited by @llli*kelmarsol; June 26th, 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more to add
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Hey mama! Yeast is no fun!

Here are some really good resources, including some stuff that you can do to help right now. You should both be treated, but I can't say I've ever heard of using Lamisil?

http://llli.org/FAQ/thrush.html

(non LLL resource) http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Is it a probiotic that you are using - the gel capsule? They make them for kids I believe and it should say on the package insert about giving to babies.

Good luck mama!! Please let us know how it's going!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

We used the lotrimin and still use it on diaper rash. With the twins we all battled Thrush on and off for about 6 months (we kept re-infecting each other). My breasts never hurt, but the kids mouths got pretty bad. For us washing it off right before nursing was fine. I was also given a nystatin cream which I did not have to wipe off. We also tried the gention violet (over the counter). For us it took a 14 day presctiption of diflucan (one each day for 14 days) to finally beat it.

Good luck, and wash everything in the hottest water you can and throw some vinegar into the wash with clothes to kill off yeast.

Good Luck
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo